Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 AM

Does anyone on here have a Singer 185J ? I bought one this past week and don't know much about it. It is a cute green and VERY heavy. It was in a bentwood case that did not have the latches. Can latches be purchased for this? I don't think it actually belongs in the case but not sure. I just found a manual to download so maybe now I can see how to thread it and give it a test run. Does it require a special needle?
Thanks for the help. I know someone on here will have the answers for me.

Linda
Old 10-06-2010, 09:24 AM
EC

Originally Posted by buslady
Any suggestions on how to find the resale shops in a particular area?
Don't forget to check Craigslist for the area you are visiting!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Linda Star
Does anyone on here have a Singer 185J ? I bought one this past week and don't know much about it. It is a cute green and VERY heavy. It was in a bentwood case that did not have the latches. Can latches be purchased for this? I don't think it actually belongs in the case but not sure. I just found a manual to download so maybe now I can see how to thread it and give it a test run. Does it require a special needle?
Thanks for the help. I know someone on here will have the answers for me.

Linda
15x1 needles and class 66 bobbins for the little green fellow! It came originally in a green plastic case but it must have fallen apart and they set it in a bentwood case instead. The original cases for them are hard to come by because the plastics they used back then were not up to the same standards as they are today. You should see some of my model kits from the 60's that I built when I was a kid in the 80's the bodies are sagging because of the age!

Billy
Old 10-06-2010, 02:05 PM

.. Any suggestions on how to find the resale shops in a particular area?
I would google for the typical charity sites, Good Samaratin, Good Will, etc. Also some churches or organizations have resale. Might also try consignment and antique. I have found many an antique store that is really just a fancy thrift store.

Good luck! Should be a barrell of fun. Don't forget to drive down the alleys and by the dumpsters... ;)
Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks Billy. Would this machine be Industrial? I thought I read somewhere that this model was. Are the 15 x 1 needles the ones mentioned on this board that have been hard to find?

Linda
Old 10-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Linda Star
Thanks Billy. Would this machine be Industrial? I thought I read somewhere that this model was. Are the 15 x 1 needles the ones mentioned on this board that have been hard to find?

Linda
No your machine is a 3/4 sized 99 in a new dress! :lol: And the 15x1 needles are the standard needles that most all machines use right now.

Billy
Old 10-06-2010, 04:33 PM

We went to an antique shop today and looked at a Singer 99K it was buried in an old bread truck. Well the machine looked like it was new so went back inside shop to make offer and when we came out the machine was sitting on the ground in back of our truck. Now it's sitting on our back porch. When the girl left the room for a min. she had gone around and gotten the machine out of the truck and set it behind our truck knowing she would accept our offer. It was made Nov. 23, 1955 in Scotland. Runs like a !!! Singer!!! She also had a Kenmore in cabinet with the Krinkle finish that looked like new. Looked just like our Franklin. But we left that one behind for now. Haven't taken pictures yet but will tomorrow in the day light.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:25 PM

Thank you! I did the google, but very few shops came up, I will go back in and see if any other lists come up, later in the day. Thank you for the site info, I have sent a sign up request, I hope they are helpful!!
Try doing a specific city resale shop search on google. :-D
Old 10-06-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
We went to an antique shop today and looked at a Singer 99K it was buried in an old bread truck. Now it's sitting on our back porch. It was made Nov. 23, 1955 in Scotland. Runs like a !!! Singer!!!
Congratulations Trish!

My 99K is a 1956 model, it also looks new and runs perfect. Mine is in a small cabinet and sits in our bedroom so I can mend something quickly if I need to. I also use it when we have company because then my sewing room becomes a guest room with a murphy bed.

Those little 3/4 size machines are such great finds!

Nancy
Old 10-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Thanks Nancy, DH just got it oiled and I have been sewing on it to try it out. It works great. Mine came in a portable case. I'll get pictures tomorrow.