Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would U do in this case..... >

What would U do in this case.....

What would U do in this case.....

Old 10-06-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
Fellow quilters I would love some advice from you folks.
About two months ago I happened to run across a local fellow quilter. She told me she needed some red plaid flannel to finish a quilt she was making for her son's upcoming wedding. Told her I thought I had some and when I got home I pulled out every piece of red plaid flannel that I had. I called her and she was only minutes away at that time and stopped by to see my flannel. She said she'd take it all, and when she got home she would measure it and call me and we could agree on a price.

First mistake on my part was calling her before I saw how much was there. Especially since this was not just one piece but several. I just didn't think about her stopping by so soon that day.

I haven't heard a word from her since she left that day.
Would you...let it go and forget it.
or call her and ask how the quilt turned out...
or ask if the fabric worked out okay for her...

Fact is, I can live with it if she can. I was simply trying to help out a fellow quilter and somewhat of a neighbor although she lives several miles from me. (in the back country)

It just bothers me when people don't follow through with what they say they'll do. It really isn't that much about the $$$, it's more about principle to me.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your opinions and thoughts.

Born2Sew
Definitely call her!!!! :evil:
Old 10-06-2010, 10:24 AM

I guess the thing about this that sticks out the most to me is -this is her SON's wedding-most mother's of the groom don't have that much to do with planning the wedding--so-I don't think that is the problem. Since she scooped up all of the fabric my guess is she intends to keep it all and hope you never say anything. I think an old neighbor of mine has moved into your area.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by kathome
An old saying:

"If you lend someone $20 and never hear from that person again, it was probably a good investment."

LOL very true !!!

Good luck with the outcome :)

Can always call and let her know you'l be in the area, can pop in to pick up the remainder, that you need for a project, this may jug her memory that she has all of your stash of this fabric, May offer to drop it back off in town. Yes optimistic, since yes, no perfection seems to be allowed :)
Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I would definitely call her. She may have forgotten (although I doubt it) or she may have lost your phone number. Give her a chance. However, when and if you donate something, it should be left up to you to whom you donate to, not left up to the recipient. LOL Good Luck
Old 10-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

There was a time I would have been to embarrassed, but no more.
Guess that makes me officially 'old', lol.
It is the principle that you had an agreement.
Just in case life has gotten in the way...and that is the only good reason to not call asap when you have somebody else's stuff...
I would call and ask if one of them worked and you can't wait to see.
It's like somebody borrowing mon-eeeey....
I do hope everything is alright, but you never know.
Don't just let it go...it will fester.
hiya so and so, how's that plaid workin' for ya? Get anything to work? would love to see... ;-)
Old 10-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterscorner
I guess the thing about this that sticks out the most to me is -this is her SON's wedding-most mother's of the groom don't have that much to do with planning the wedding--so-I don't think that is the problem. Since she scooped up all of the fabric my guess is she intends to keep it all and hope you never say anything. I think an old neighbor of mine has moved into your area.
yikes :shock:
Old 10-06-2010, 11:14 AM

Well, being a person with a very poor memory, I know that I would appreciate a call and a reminder in this situation. I would hate to be left owing someone something that I had forgotten about. Usually just a reminder will do the trick, but sometimes I need to be told plain out... and I don't mind, cuz I would never want to do anyone out of something I owe them.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I would just forget. She knows the fabric was yours and she also knows what ya'll talked about. Unless you really need the money for the fabric, just consider it a blessing that you were able to help her out.
...and a hard lesson :?
I used to think I had to be all sweetness and light too.
I am very agreeable, but I wouldn't just "suck it up".
Sucking it up, is the same as stuffing it down...ask me how I know???? it sticks!
by the way, if I ever hurt somebody, especially a good friend, I hope they tell me right out. I have adhd and am known to get distracted. I'd be sick about hurting someone.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:19 AM

CALL HER and don't even let her get away with "forgetting" about it -- REMIND her that you did her a BIG favor by even looking for the fabric....If she doesn't come through in some way then put her on the bottom of your "friends" list!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Call her and ask if she has used what she needed and that you will drive by and pick up the remainder to get it out of her way since you know she has been so busy with the wedding. At least it will get her talking. If she doesn't offer to pay, chalk it up to experience and forget it. If she does offer to pay have a price in mind. Good luck.