Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's a good price for fat quarters? >

What's a good price for fat quarters?

What's a good price for fat quarters?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by angieh1964
on the convo of fats i kind of put off buying them till the other day it was all i could get for a wall hanging couldnt find any bolt fab i liked was at joanns when i got home i went to put them away with the other fats and realized i already had that color but low and behold i had bought the first set a walmart and guess what...they are exactly the same only difference is price $1.00 at wally world $1.99 at joanns so from now on i will check at walmart first! and when you compare the price it can be a better deal depending on what you are buying i was getting batiks
When they are folded on those cardboard squares, I think maybe one company produces them and then the store name is added. the fat quarters at Tuesday Morning look like JoAnn's or Hancock's. And some quality is not too good.
I bought the perfect color to bind a table runner at JoAnn's. Then got it home and it was such poor quality I could actually see through it. No way to tell when it was on the card
Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 AM

$1 - awesome! LQS's here charge from $2.50 to $3.00 per FQ (batiks tend to be more).
Old 10-06-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by remclave
Originally Posted by Lilrain
Long time quilter, but perhaps a little ignorant, have never heard of a 12x12 quilt. What is it?
Lilrain, our group is one of many that makes 12" by 12" blankets for the Christmas project (blanket, baby doll, crib). There was one person who used the opportunity to make 12" by 12" miniature quilts (tops and backing only with edging) for the project. I didn't mean to cause any confusion.
what a great xmas gift for underprivelage children to recieve all kids should have a baby to love and yes i said kids all 3 of my boys went thru a baby doll stage the oldest had a pink baby beans middle had a stuffed animal i believe and the youngest had a learning doll (ex diaper dan) and of course the dads had a fit but i told them it was just a phase and i believe it will make them better fathers my youngest is already better with babies than some of the fathers
Old 10-06-2010, 02:55 PM

Wow sounds like a cool place to wonder around in!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:57 PM

I usually pay 1.25 - 1.49 == your getting them cheap
Old 10-06-2010, 03:00 PM

I look at how far apart the threads are and how it feels. If you rub the fabric between your hands and there is a lot of dust, then it has a lot of sizing in it to give it a false feeling of body. $1 a good fat quarter sounds like a very good deal to me.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:09 PM

JoAnn's chain frequently has FQ's on sale for $1. (I never pay full price at JoAnn's -- everything will be on sale or have a %off coupon soon enough.) Q shops usually run $2 up. Think about it -- if quality fabric is selling for $8.25 or more per yard, the store would be losing money to sell a FQ (1/4 yard) for less than $2.25!
I am lucky enough to have a store within easy distance that sells a lot of "past season" (not this year's, or overstock) flat folds (not on bolt) for $2 to $4 per yard. With this available, I try not to spend more than $1 per FQ unless I can't find what I need otherwise.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:12 PM

I think it is a very good price but a lot depends on the quality of the fabric AND do you really NEED ones you don't have a plan for? (OF COURSE :D )
Old 10-06-2010, 03:26 PM

Of course we need more FQ's for our stashes!
I store them on edge in large shoe boxes.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Wow! I'm tempted to go back and pick up a few just to play around with! There was no 'dust'. And they weren't see-through when I simply held it in my hand. Wish me luck!