Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My Drug problem,  could it be yours too? !! >

My Drug problem, could it be yours too? !!

My Drug problem, could it be yours too? !!

Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 PM

My mom died when I was 11 and I was left with a VERY strict dad to bring me up. Well, he "drug" me up. I didn't DARE say or do anything wrong. He would give me the "look" and that was all it took.

IMHO today's parents are too lenient and worried that their child won't "like" them or be their friend.

Parents are parents, not friends. Children want and need guidance. My son - - now 30 - - told me not too long ago that he NOW understands "what was going on back then and why he had a curfew and restrictions". So it took many years for validation, but it paid off in the end. He is now a successful businessman, married with 2 kiddos of his own, who I think are being brought up the right way.

'Nuf said.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by hospicenurse
I was brought up to respect my elders. I raised my children like that. This generation has a new idea of speaking and talking to their children, allowing their freedom of speech,saying whatever they want. I have to tell you of my experience with my step-granddaughter. She was 5 years old and one weekend when we were visiting them, she looked at me and shouted"your NOT my grandmother.......and you have warts all over your face"......my dear daughter-in-law very nicely hung her head and said nothing to this child. I was shocked beyond belief. I had done nothing but give love to her since she was born. I cried the entire Thanksgiving weekend. When I asked her mother, why she had said this she replied..."she is brutely honest at times". I have no respect for my daughter-in-law to allow that behavior and if she allows her child to speak in such manner, I don't want to be involved in any of their lives. I feel badly for my husband because that is his only son. I pray that I can forgive but I will NEVER forget. (and by the way, I am not a freak)
I do know how you are feeling. We have a nephew, my brother's son, who is obnoxious. He would tell my husband to get out of his way. Turn the television on without asking, eat in the living room etc. And my brother sees nothing wrong with this. I think he often encourages this behavior because he isn't around his son all the time. My brother sadly acts the same way, our Mom doesn't see it or she ignores it. I love my Mom dearly, but I walk a different path then my siblings.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:01 PM

Amen.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:21 PM

So very, very true :-D
Old 10-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by moonwolf23
Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Editor’s note:
The following letter has appeared on the internet and was viewed by many readers. Many felt it would be appropriate for the readers of Avoyelles Parish.

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a Methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, “Why didn’t we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?”

I replied, I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn’t put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity. I was drug out to pull weeds in mom’s garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad’s fields. I was drug to the homes of family, friends and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood, and, if my mother had even known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say or think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today’s children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

God bless the parents who drugged us.
While amusing, it's wrong. America has had drug problems before this generation. It just wasn't talked about, nor was it Meth. In the 80's it was cocaine to continue to produce more, in the 70's it was lsd and angel dust and heroin, in the 60's it was the same. In the 50's it was alcohol and barbiturates.

It happened to people of good homes and bad homes. Lets not kid ourselves.
amen to that
Old 10-06-2010, 04:40 PM

Our kids, grandkids are inundated with bad examples at school and in public everyday and it's so easy for them to start to act that way too, to take the path of least resistance. Add that more and more are coming from an unstable home life, all levels of apathy, no guidance, respect or authority. Parents are stressed more than ever, generations have changed, problems getting worse. It's a challenge to cope each day. Well, anyone can see it's just a recipe for disaster.

I was "drugged" too growing up but my moment of "sobriety" came when I saw the benefits of all that my parents were trying to do. Then when I learned I was going to be a parent, well I got the "drugs" ready for my kids.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 PM

When I was growing up if we did something wrong in the neighborhood, and someone saw it, we were told in no uncertain terms. By the time we got home our parents knew what happened, and we were told again. If we got hurt at the neighbors house while playing we were taken home, and nobody said we are going to SUE. I had a teacher in 4ht grade that pulled our hair or cracked our knuckles if we didn't hold the pencil correctly. Our parents didn't threaten the school board. We learned real quick to study hard and not fail that grade.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:33 PM

Moonwolfe23, I grew up in the during the 40's and 50's. I don't remember calling people names. I went to school with Negroes, Mexicans, Germans, Italians, Greeks, and Irish. We had disabled kids (mentally and Physical) we didn't call them names. We had different religions in the neighborhood besides in my own family, and my grandpa told me we were all working to get to the same place. And then he would add some are working a little harder than others. We didn't do drugs or drink as teenagers. If you weren't legal age we didn't get beer, and as far as drugs you got a RX from the doctor.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 PM

I grew up "drugged" and as an adult have been self-medicating! :D
We need more of this particular epidemic if you ask me!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:42 PM

Here is what just happened in my house. Last Friday my daughter(12 next month) was disrespectful, rude, disobeyed the sitter who happens to be my sister. She also hurt her feelings and was mean to the dog. I was at work when this happened. I found out the story two days later and grounded her from music, games, computer (not school work), made her write a letter of apology and the tv. So far everyone says that I should not have grounded her including my sister. And best of all they told her it was not fair. Tonight she did it to me and she will be punished in the morning when I am not angry. I did make her go to her room and aside from telling her she hurt my feelings I told her what I truely believe--
It is far easier to allow they to do and say as they please and it takes a parent who loves you to punish you and guide you to become a good person and one day a good parent. Far to many parents don't take the time and pain in the *** to teach and show their children right from wrong. Just my opinion--Katie