Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding Tip >

Binding Tip

Binding Tip

Old 10-06-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
http://www.sharonschamber.com/free%2...ng%20Class.pdf above is the tutorial on binding with the glue technique.
I put the binding on a wall hanging using this tutorial video last night and it worked out great. I don't like doing the binding, but this made the process easier.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:53 PM

I use the glue method and sew it too...I was thinking with the heat bond no sewing would be required. I'm I dreaming...
Originally Posted by BABAREEBA
Originally Posted by Fabaddict
http://www.sharonschamber.com/free%2...ng%20Class.pdf above is the tutorial on binding with the glue technique.
I put the binding on a wall hanging using this tutorial video last night and it worked out great. I don't like doing the binding, but this made the process easier.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:31 PM

I'll give that a try. Maybe I'll finish the binding on my favorite quilt that I finished over 6 years ago.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

thank you for the tip, and God bless.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 PM

Doesn't anyone cheat like I do? If the quilt is for a female I pick hearts or flowers out of my decorative stitches, a male geometric designs, and put contrast or matching thread on bobbin and sew from the backside so I catch it all and keep it straight. Illsa
Old 10-06-2010, 09:54 PM

Great Tip thank you so much :-D :thumbup:
Old 10-06-2010, 10:33 PM

This isn't a sewing tip but a big one which helps me...I keep a file on my computer of these tips given by all of you by subject matter. I copy and paste each one on a word doc and keep for future reference when I come across a problem I then pull up your tips and usually find an answer to problem or at least a nudge in the correct direction. I know it may take a little longer during my reading of the threads but it saves my sanity when I come to a problem during sewing time and can't remember how the procedure is done. I have learned so much from each of you. THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:22 AM

fantastic tip! Thanks!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 AM

Lady Shivesa, thank you so much. In all my years of putting binding on, I did not know this tip. I tried it with a quilt I was just finishing, and your tip made a world of difference. You are correct, without pressing it, I was tugging the binding which made for uneven binding. I took the time to press it, and it came out better than any binding I have ever done.

Please share more of your tips! This old dog is ready for new tricks!

Thank you!
:thumbup:
Old 10-07-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
Now don't laugh at me if this is a tip broadly known and I just never heard of it before. I've only been quilting for about 1-2 months so I'm still learning, and I discovered a neat way to make hand sewing the binding onto the back of your quilt a lot easier. I figure there have to be some newbies out there like me that might benefit from this, so here goes.

It's pretty simple, after you sew your binding on to the front, flip it over and iron the binding down. It takes a minute or two, but it really helps get the binding to be even on the front (i.e., you're not repeatedly pulling the binding too far or not pulling it enough around the edge). I usually start with one side, iron it all down right, sew it, and then move on to the next side, iron, sew, etc.

Anyways, sorry if that's a pretty obvious tip, but I'm finding it makes handsewing the binding on WAY easier and more fun. :)
Do you mean just press it, or do you mean use some kind of iron on stuff that sticks it in place?
I just press it. I do use a little steam, and it makes it stay down quite well - but I've only tried it on wall hangings and smaller projects, so I imagine with a larger quilt you would want pins or glue or something in addition to keep it from getting messed up when you're moving all the material around.