Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ!!! What am I doing wrong????? >

FMQ!!! What am I doing wrong?????

FMQ!!! What am I doing wrong?????

Old 10-09-2010, 06:26 PM

Check your bobbin to make sure it isn't overly full. I've had that issue and re-threaded both top and bobbin, changed needle, adjusted tension, when I switched to a bobbin that wasn't "full" it worked just fine. I only have had this problem with FMQ. It's worth a shot.

Marie M.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by sentimentaljourney2974
Did you magnitize your bobbin area with metal bobbins when it was new?
This is new to me. Why would you want to magnitize your bobbins. I have never hear of this. The only reason I can think of would be to keep them from falling out of the bobbin case. But if they are that loose you must have the wrong size bobbins, or that's what I think.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Change the needle, rethread it, take the bobbin out and replace it, pull the bobbin thread to the top before you start and you should be good to go. OH, and check to make sure someone little didn't move your tention dial while you were out of the room.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Manufacturers strongly suggest to 'activate/magnetize your bobbin case' and never use plastic bobbins. Use metal bobbins only. If this is not done there will be bobbin issues eventually. My sewing machine repair person taught me this. Of course he may have cheated himself out of repair charges. One of my manuals states this as well. I learned this when plastic bobbins first came out and we were deciding which to use (metal or plastic). I know a metallurgist (metal engineer) and he said it makes perfect sense.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:05 PM

Manufacturers strongly suggest to 'activate/magnetize your bobbin case' and never use plastic bobbins. Use metal bobbins only. If this is not done there will be bobbin issues eventually. My sewing machine repair person taught me this. Of course he may have cheated himself out of repair charges. One of my manuals states this as well. I learned this when plastic bobbins first came out and we were deciding which to use (metal or plastic). I know a metallurgist (metal engineer) and he said it makes perfect sense.
O.k., but what's the purpose for doing this?
Old 10-09-2010, 09:15 PM

Seems to me, with a computerized machine, a magnetized bobbin wouldn't be such a good idea.

Anyway, I've been sewing for over fifty years and I've never heard of that.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:17 PM

Then by all means continue as you have been, if it's not broken then...
Old 10-09-2010, 09:23 PM

I've also wanted to say on this website...First, I am old school. My grandmother taught me to quilt. I cannot imagine what she would think about 'computerized machines' or 'quilting machines' that make your quilt all stiff and over threaded. I know how I feel. Some quilts I see are for show only. What happened to 'quilting' the way women used to quilt, out of necessity for your family, comfortable yet nice to look at too?
Old 10-09-2010, 11:49 PM

Did you magnitize your bobbin area with metal bobbins when it was new?
Please explain how you do this. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Power Poster

It definitely looks like a tension problem to me. I just don't want to get used to the computerized machines. Just give me my old featherweight or my treadle. The stitch is so straight and even. I have an old Singer 128 portable that was in storage for over 25 years. It is 80 years old. We cleaned it up, oiled it, I sat down to sew with it and it put out the prettiest stitch without any problems. Just call me an old timer.