Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A sad day >

A sad day

A sad day

Old 10-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

In the "olden days" when extended families shared space, there was still time and space allotted to sewing and quilting. It may give you a new appreciation for your craft and an opportunity to whittle down the stash to manageable proportions (or sort your stash into project bags). You already know that family always comes first. Any chance the new housemates may be interested in sharing your hobby in some manner?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Hope it works out okay.

((hugs))

It can be stressful - and if you had been waiting a long time to have your OWN space - I think it's okay to feel a bit sad/resentful/angry for a while about having to give it up.
I agree. Just because you are doing the right thing for family doesn't mean you you shouldn't be a little upset that it means giving something important to you up for a while. You're a good person but not a saint. ;-)
Old 10-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps you can take this opportunity to do some handwork that is portable and doesn't take up much space. You might find that you enjoy the change of pace, and it would make dealing with a difficult situation less stressful.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:26 AM

I can only imagine your pain. Look at the upside...you still have a space for sewing. :?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:28 AM
np3
Power Poster

It is just the two of us in a three bedroom home with a den. I am still cramped with all my sewing stuff and we have a storage unit too. We always spread out to fill the spaces we have, it is in our nature. But we can squeeze back in when needed. Here is a hug and good luck to all of you. It is a tough time for many right now.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:29 AM

Thank you all of your good thoughts. I know this won't last long. You given me some ideas on how to continue to sew. Thank you so much.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

Sending you hugs. I have not had to go back but have exoperience with having to put it all away and using the dining table when available late at night. I used plastic large storage bings and oragnized by theme. I had an Hawaiian bin, a large bolt of batting, and several other large bins. When not in use I put the bins 4 and the big box of batting in my walk in closet. I was also so fortunate to be able to clear out a taller narrrow dresser type and I put FQ in there by color. All rulers and a cutting mat etc. where in one of those big bags. When I quilted I would pull stuff out. You might also want to make your own kits with all the fabric and items you need to make a complete quilt. Then put the other fabric away in large bins in storage like garage, attic or walk in closet.

Hugs, Anna
Old 10-10-2010, 10:33 AM

I am so spoiled, living by myself. When I have company, I have to quick shuffle stuff around.
It is good of you to share with them. Do set a time limit, though, and insist that they work toward leaving. This isn't a vacation for anyone.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

Have them pay SOMETHING towards the living costs - that way they may not feel like such big losers - and you may not feel quite as "put upon"
Old 10-10-2010, 10:49 AM

Yes, I've made major changes from having a sewing room to loosing the sewing room because a child came home. In fact, this has happened about 4 tmes.

I've moved my sewing things in and out of so many different rooms because of my family's needs, that I've gotten to be a pro at it.

Here is what I learned...
1. I have one cabinet (always kept in the dining room no matter where my sewing room/area is at.) (My cabinet is a armoire type cabinet.) In that cabinet I have all of my sewing accessories (in little plastic bins) from bobbins, needles, machine accessories to lace, elastic and anything else that would be a pain to hunt for. I never try to move this cabinet. It is in a place where I can access it even if someone is staying in my sewing room.

2. Any new project that I start (whether I have a sewing room or just a sewing area) goes into it's own plastic rectangle tub. These tubs are only about 4 " tall and I can easily stack one rectangle tube onto another tub. That way, no matter which area I'm going to sew at, I have my project all together.

3. I have my thread in it's own thread carrying box. I have a sewing box where I keep the things I need (like thimbles, a few bobbins for the machine I'm using, scissors, fabric cutter, tape measurer, needles for my machine. I have a carrying case that will hold a cutting mat and a ironing pad.

I have portable lamps to be moved to wherever I may be sewing so that I have plenty of lamps.

I have my stash folded (the way Alaska Sunshine showed in the tutorial) but I put them in tubs instead of on shelves. I stack these tubs where ever I can find a place to keep them.

As for batting, I usually buy it in the package and I just stuff that where ever I can.

There you go...all of my sewing supplies and projects are portable and I can easily access anything in a few minutes whether I have a sewing room or not.