Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me or is this expensive. >

Is it just me or is this expensive.

Is it just me or is this expensive.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:09 PM

Pellon is an interfacing/stiffener that is used in tote bags, purses and the like to give the fabric a lot of body. Personally for tote bags and purses I like using Buckram better. I use a light weight Heat Bond to adhere it to my fabric. Buckram is a drapery stiffener that is very nice for bags. I get it at Mary Jo's in Gastonia, NC. I can get the 20" width there.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by moonwolf23
What is Pellon?
It's a brand name for interfacing that has been around forever. It comes in many different weights from feather-light (that hardly has any weight to it) to one that it as stiff as a board. Some have lines or grids marked on them for measuring. You can get the sew-in kind or the iron-on (fusible) kind. Joann's has it and the clerks (at least at my local store) are very good at recommending the right one for your project if you need help.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:53 PM

I only buy Pellon products at Joann fabrics when they are 50% off... like now, for Columbus day sale.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 10-10-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by np3
Is there an inexpensive way for us to ship to you in Canada? Your prices are just crazy!!!!
I have some quilty friends in Canada who get gouged with the shipping costs when they order something here in the states. I just order it and when I collect all they want, I ship it to them - even with the double postage, it's less then having a business ship to Canada. I have no idea why businesses charge so much to mail to Canada from the USA, but it's much less expensive for a private citizen to mail to Canada. Guess it's nice to have friends on both sides of the border!
Old 10-10-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by sjhughson
I am different, I guess, but I don't feel responsible for supporting any shop. I buy all my quilting fabric on-line now and don't give a whit that the LQS charges over $10 US/yd. I don't need the lastest fabrics to make my quilting projects. I'm not paying that much for fabric. I try to shoot for $3/yd. I do have a big stash to pull from. I might change my mind in 20 yrs after I use all that up. I get my notions with Joann's coupons.
I am the same way I don't pay attention to brand names on fabrics. I hate that our Canadian friends are being ripped off it's not like they live across the ocean and shipping it there is not that expensive.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by cindle
I went to Fabric Land (I dispise this store) to buy some things to start making a bow tuck tote. So after first trying to find someone to help me for a good 10 minutes I stood at the cash when a sales lady finally approached me asking if I needed help. I asked her where the pellon was and she showed me. I would never have found it because it was hidded under their cutting tables. She finds the one I need and is just about to cut when I asked how much it was meter. She then replied it is $15 a meter. I think my jaw hit the ground. I was like forget that I can get it cheaper in the states and walked out. Is pellon usually that expensive? When you make a bow tuck tote how much do all your supplies usually cost? Sorry this is so long I just can't believe the cost some things at some stores compaired to the cost at others.
I have no idea if you have a JoAnn's around your area - but this weekend (in the US, for Columbus Day), they are having a 50% off all interfacing until Monday night. I got a 10-yard bolt of the heaviest Pellon for $2.98/yard. It's normally $6.00/yard.

I have also seen it for sale from Pellon directly for about that price - but you have to purchase an entire bolt of it.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:08 PM

This is the site I was looking at - they do ship outside the US, and their prices are much more reasonable, if you are willing to buy by the bolt.

http://www.shoppellon.com/index.php?main_page=index
Old 10-10-2010, 03:29 PM

I know the price of farbric has gone up -ol shop is about $9.50 forthe nice stuff!
Old 10-10-2010, 05:25 PM

I am confused. You call it Pellon for the purses. I thought Pellon was a brand. But you mention fleece. Can you just use fleece and spray glue?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by poultney
I am confused. You call it Pellon for the purses. I thought Pellon was a brand. But you mention fleece. Can you just use fleece and spray glue?
There is a fusible fleece that can be used for a variety of things. It is usually packaged in plastic bags.