Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me or is this expensive. >

Is it just me or is this expensive.

Is it just me or is this expensive.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:14 PM

JoAnn's has all their fusible on sale for 50% off. Bought 987F for 3.49 yard.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by costumegirl
We must live in the same city!! I think it is very expensive - you have to add on the 13% Ontario tax too. I hardly ever find anything at Fabricland. I was looking for the aluminu ironing board fabric and it was $20 and not very nice (was really rough and had defects).

The border is very close to me so I go to Joann's with coupons and it is a nice outing for the day. Even with the border crossing fees and the the 6% MI tax it is much cheaper.
I don't know if they ship to Canada, however Connecting Threads has Insulbrite (ironing board insulation) for about $6.00 per yard. You might check it out.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:52 PM

I just bought 2 yards at our local Walmart and it was $3.97 a yard -- and it was the 397F or whatever the number is for the purses.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie
I don't know if they ship to Canada, however Connecting Threads has Insulbrite (ironing board insulation) for about $6.00 per yard. You might check it out.
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by cindle
I went to Fabric Land (I dispise this store) to buy some things to start making a bow tuck tote. So after first trying to find someone to help me for a good 10 minutes I stood at the cash when a sales lady finally approached me asking if I needed help. I asked her where the pellon was and she showed me. I would never have found it because it was hidded under their cutting tables. She finds the one I need and is just about to cut when I asked how much it was meter. She then replied it is $15 a meter. I think my jaw hit the ground. I was like forget that I can get it cheaper in the states and walked out. Is pellon usually that expensive? When you make a bow tuck tote how much do all your supplies usually cost? Sorry this is so long I just can't believe the cost some things at some stores compaired to the cost at others.
I buy Pellon to make my purses and totes at WalMart and it is $2.95 a yard.I use the iron on kind but the sew in isn't expensive either.You might try buying online. That is outrageous!

I use plastic canvas for the bottom of my purses and cover it with the lining fabric works great!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by moonwolf23
What is Pellon?
Pellon is sorta like batting but thinner it gives body to fabric,you can buy it to iron on or sew in.HTH :D(HOPE THIS HELPS)
Old 10-10-2010, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by wanderingcreek
We must live in the same city!! I think it is very expensive - you have to add on the 13% Ontario tax too. I hardly ever find anything at Fabricland. I was looking for the aluminu ironing board fabric and it was $20 and not very nice (was really rough and had defects).

The border is very close to me so I go to Joann's with coupons and it is a nice outing for the day. Even with the border crossing fees and the the 6% MI tax it is much cheaper.
I hate Fabricland too but sometimes it is the only option for me. I used to live in Victoria, and was able to get to the US quite often but now that I am outside of Edmonton it is just too far but I keep telling my DD that we should save some money and go on a road trip. At least in Alberta we don't have a provincial sales tax so all we pay is the 5% GST on our purchases but the fabric costs are still waaaaaay to costly in Canada.
I just had to put my two cents worth in here. My Mother and Step Dad live just across the border in Keremeous BC. When we go there to see them I just about faint from seeing the prices of everything. I went into a Fabricland in Penticton and I thought their prices were terribly high but then I think everything is very high priced in Canada. Plus you then have the exorbitant taxes. I do not know how people survive in that Country. Sorry, Canadians. I would love to live there but the cost of living is just too high. We have thought about living there because of my parents but we would have to find high paying jobs to match the cost of living.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:44 PM

i shop at fabricland because it's the only option i have. i live right on the border but i don't have a car so i can't cross. there are some things i do to save $$ there. first off i never buy anything for more than half price. i bought a membership, costs $20 but well worth it. most stuff is 25% off all the time if you have a membership. usually at the end of each season they have a huge sale and every month or so they have a members only sale where you can save 50-75% on a lot of stuff. i got four rolls of the iron on stuff for a pretty good price a couple months ago when i started getting into more difficult projects. it was buy one, get three free. plus there is usually a pretty good assortment of last seasons fabrics on the clearance racks and there are a lot of those in my local store. so i find stuff for $3/m that was $15/m a couple months ago. i agree, way overpriced but if you have no other options it pays to be thrifty.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:21 PM

13% Ontario tax on top of everything! .... and I complain because once again we will not get a Cost Of Living Adjustment for Social Security...2nd year in a row.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:05 AM

I would like to put my little two cents in . The $3.50 is to take the tunnel from Detroit to Windsor, Ont. It has nothing to do with the border crossing ( except that you need a valid passport or a Can Pass.