Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Book - Highly Recommend >

Quilt Book - Highly Recommend

Quilt Book - Highly Recommend

Old 10-11-2010, 02:33 AM

I tried to order this book and they are completely out of the cheaper priced one. Everyone must have ordered it immedialely. I will try again.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
I am so in love with this book, that I thought I would share it with the group since I have not seen it mentioned on here (at least since I became a member a few months ago).

Name of book: "The It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book" by Mary Ellen Hopkins.

It has over 350 different block designs of all different "patches", trees, roads, crosses, butterflies, etc, instructions on how to set a design "on point", diagonal sets, and on and on. There is also graph paper pages, how to figure the number of blocks needed, and much more.

This is a wonderful and inexpensive book for beginners and for experienced with 111 pages all filled with blocks like you see in the picture below. I got my book on Amazon used (it was actually like new) for around $10 about a year ago.

The reason I am posting this is because I recently posted a couple of pictures of my Autumn Table Toppers and many wanted to know where to get the pattern. I have sent some the pattern card for it, but this book has similar things and is WAY more economical. I guarantee you will love this book.

Let me know if anyone has one or buys one.
Did you know that the blocks from this book was originally designed to be made with small log cabin blocks? Yup. Our guild in New Hampshire hosted Mary Ellen Hopkins in October 1987. Learned all sorts of wonderful things from her. She is the most fun loving lady in the quilting world!

If I mentioned the date October 17, 1987 - would that mean anything to you? On that day I was driving ME from Massachusettes to Vermont while the NY Stock Exchange was crashing big time! DH hasn't let me forget it. Said it was worse than what Nero did while Rome burned. I don't buy into that, though. :(

Have the book & used it quite a lot, especially for reference. Made a few small quilts with 1/4" logs.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:34 AM

I have another book of interest. It is "The Block Book" by Judy Martin. Such a fun book.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:08 AM

I have one of her other books saw her on Alex Anderson's quilt show she was great, however, she has passed and will be missed.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:53 AM

I have this book. One of the first books I purchased when started quilting. I also went to 2 of her lectures/demo sessions She is a riot. just love the book. Great source for block exchanges.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
I am so in love with this book, that I thought I would share it with the group since I have not seen it mentioned on here (at least since I became a member a few months ago).

Name of book: "The It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book" by Mary Ellen Hopkins.

It has over 350 different block designs of all different "patches", trees, roads, crosses, butterflies, etc, instructions on how to set a design "on point", diagonal sets, and on and on. There is also graph paper pages, how to figure the number of blocks needed, and much more.

This is a wonderful and inexpensive book for beginners and for experienced with 111 pages all filled with blocks like you see in the picture below. I got my book on Amazon used (it was actually like new) for around $10 about a year ago.

The reason I am posting this is because I recently posted a couple of pictures of my Autumn Table Toppers and many wanted to know where to get the pattern. I have sent some the pattern card for it, but this book has similar things and is WAY more economical. I guarantee you will love this book.

Let me know if anyone has one or buys one.
Did you know that the blocks from this book was originally designed to be made with small log cabin blocks? Yup. Our guild in New Hampshire hosted Mary Ellen Hopkins in October 1987. Learned all sorts of wonderful things from her. She is the most fun loving lady in the quilting world!

If I mentioned the date October 17, 1987 - would that mean anything to you? On that day I was driving ME from Massachusettes to Vermont while the NY Stock Exchange was crashing big time! DH hasn't let me forget it. Said it was worse than what Nero did while Rome burned. I don't buy into that, though. :(

Have the book & used it quite a lot, especially for reference. Made a few small quilts with 1/4" logs.

Awesome story about Mary Ellen and I did not know that about the log cabin blocks. Were you the cause of THIS recession, as well?? lol.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by fishnlady
Originally Posted by fishnlady
Originally Posted by CindyinNY
They must know we're looking. The cheapest price I just saw was $22.46. Too expensive for me.
I think you are right. I have been looking at Amazon and there the cheapest price I think is around $16 used. I will keep looking. Supply and demand. Gets us everytime. LOL
There has been a run on this book, and the sellers caught on apparently and unfortunately. Wow. What a fish, and it's not just a story - you have proof. I'd love to visit Alaska - maybe someday!!!
Yes, that is why we came to Alaska. We love to go fishing and what better place. I caught a near 40 pound King Salmon this summer in the Klutina River. I was so thrilled to catch it.
What an amazing fish you caught!!! My brother worked near Hood River on the Columbia River Gorge between OR and WA. He studied salmon on the fish ladders and how they got the bends if you can believe that. I can recall as a child fishing on Oneida Lake in upstate NY with my grandparents. Nothing as large as yours, but just as exciting to ME. Perch, sunfish, and much more. From the lake into the frying pan for dinner. Yummmmm and funnnnn. Alaska looks like as close to Heaven on earth as you can get. Such beautiful nature there.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:24 AM

I just went on Amazon and found one for $19.99. Are there any places to get it for less?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:58 AM

Ha! Because my mother always called me Sharon Anne, I started signing things that way - got a little dicey when I had to sign things legally :-)
With my married name my initials spell "ASH", which I should be grateful for I think. My maiden name would have been "ASO" - not so nice :0
Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 AM

I found it for less then $12, plus $4 shipping just by putting the name of the book in my search engine. There were several available around that price.