Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many kits in your stash? >

How many kits in your stash?

How many kits in your stash?

Old 10-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

I might have 1 or 2. I've never really got into kits.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:15 PM

I probably have 15 or more...
Old 10-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

I have never purchased a kit, so none.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Dee

I have 2 and that is all I will do. Like to do my own thing.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:59 PM

Like a lot of you, I don't care for kits, because I prefer to select my own fabrics. Most of the time I don't care for the color scheme of kits, or there is one or more fabrics that I don't like and wouldn't even want in my stash if I replaced them in the kit. To me, half the fun of quilting is picking out the fabric once I have decided on the pattern, and spending my day off in the quilt store, just pulling bolt after bolt out and seeing what I like together. (I do try and get the discarded bolts put back, so as not to give the quilt store workers more work than necessary).

Since I started quilting I found that I like to buy extra fabric, for a number of reasons.
1. If I screw up my cutting (which doesn't happen as often now, but did when I first started) I don't have to run out to the store to buy more, because I got "just enough" the first time.
2. Any extra fabric gets added to my collection, so a great way to add to my fabric collection.
3. If I get sidetracked and can't get to making the quilt right away, I know I won't have to go searching for fabric that is discontinued.
4. I will have plenty of scraps to make scrap quilts with, when I don't have a pattern or specific quilt I want to work on.

I never thought about buying a kit when they were on sale, just for the fabric.... may have to start rethinking that one. But I haven't seen that many kits that I just "had to have" since I have so many other quilts I want to make.

I am really into kaleidoscope type quilts, OBWs, 4Patch Posies, that most of my fabric purchases are with large repeats, and even if I got tired of the kaleidoscope type quilts, they would still make great focus fabric for other types of quilts.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:46 PM

I have 4: 2 table runners, 1 wall hanging and 1 Queen size. I do make my own "kits" for myself when I figure out the pattern and materials I want to use with it. Love the extra large ziploc baggies for keeping everything together, as well as the large spinach tubs from the market.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 PM

I was at the same show. Wasn't it fabulous. I travel with my husband now and take kits along with me to work on. It is alot easier having all the material together. I also bought kits and materials when I was working. It is my retirement fund.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 AM

I never buy kits only collections of yardage. Also buy a lot of blenders and just fabrics I love. I have that stubborn creative side to me and want to do it myself.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:01 AM

I don't have any but have collected ALL the fabric for ONE(1) quilt for ME when I get round to make it. I cannot afford kits. I do not but many patterns either and the few I have are special ones that I hope to do ONE DAY SOON.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Only 3 purchased-that-way kits. Don't want to count how many projects I have with fabrics reserved for each specifically. But, hey, only 3 kits. I'm awesome!
Yes, I'm the same way....I've got 3 kits, but have patterns with their respective fabrics all bundled together - a sort of 'home made' kit. don't ask how many of them I've got....I tend to shop sales only, so always on the lookout!
Blessings,
MaryAnna