Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bag bottoms >

Bag bottoms

Bag bottoms

Old 10-12-2010, 04:04 AM

My daughter is a professional framer and she saves the scrap mat board for me. I glue 2 of these together, make a sleeve to match the purse lining and just place in the bottom of the purse. The stablizer can be removed for washing (if the purse is washable). If you have a local frame shop ask them to save these scraps for you.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
What do you use for the stabilizers in the bottom of the purses you all make? How much do you pay for those pieces?

What size do you use or need most often?

Where does anyone buy their plastic canvas?
WM quilt selling it, Michaels (our local one) only gets in 12 sheets a week and is telling the customers they can't order more than that!
I have used 2 pcs. of mat board (from picture framing) that I then covered with fabric to match the lining of the bag. This gives it a lot of support for whatever I put in. But I have also purchased a composite board cut to size for the Bow Tucks bag from "Traditions at the White Swan" at the quilt show near Philly. I don't know whether they mail them or not, but they work very well, too.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I use the Dollar Store thick plastic placemats. The mats are 2/$1 and I can get 3 bag bottoms from one.
Great idea! Thanks for the tip!
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 10-12-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
Originally Posted by raedar63
I sew a removeable fabric pocket and use cardboard.If I were selling them I may have to come up with something else but for now cardboard works!
Vera Bradley bags, which are pricey, use a heavy dense cardboard (like what is in on the back of a note pad, but maybe 1/8" thick) inside a fabric sleeve.

I went boating with friends a couple of years ago, and my bag (which was a gift) got wet. In trying to dry it, I found the cardboard, which did not smell too good w/ the lake water & wasn't washable, either...
Not happy to hear that the Vera bags aren't washable because of the cardboard, I have one that needs a fresh up. My bag was a gift from DIL, in fact she and her DD's all have Vera bags. Have to pass this along to them. May in Jersery
Old 10-12-2010, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Not happy to hear that the Vera bags aren't washable because of the cardboard, I have one that needs a fresh up. My bag was a gift from DIL, in fact she and her DD's all have Vera bags. Have to pass this along to them. May in Jersery
I think you can remove the base from Vera bags for washing.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:41 AM

I have removed the base from one of my Vera Bradley bags and washed it - however the fabric looked faded after I washed it. Maybe try surface washing first before throwing in washing machine.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:42 AM

Another good purse bottom is made by cutting up old cutting boards that no longer work well with your rotary cutter. Suggest that you round the corners slightly to help avoid wear and tear from the point.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:53 AM

I use the plastic canvas for counted cross stitch. I usually cover it with the lining fabric and just throw it in the bottom. I measure the bottom of the purse to see how big a piece I'll need.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:55 AM

i bought peg board (without the holes) cuts easily with a hack saw large sheet probably 3/5 ft for about $5 at home depot
you can make a lot of bottoms for that
Old 10-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Banned

Thank you all for your input. I too saw the pricing of the Bag-e-bottoms and was shocked!

I decided to investigate having some made and having them in the shop and on line (when we get up and running).