Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-11-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Remember me telling you guys about a 1887 Wheeler & Wilson that was for sale on Craigslist, but the guy was in the VA hospital so I couldn't see the machine?

Well, I got it today. His mother brought it over from Portugal in the 70's. The cabinet is in excellent shape. The machine also looks great for being 123 years old. The cabinet is a coffin top.

It says "Wheeler & Wilson W9" on the machine. Miz Johnny or Billy does that mean it uses the same needles as my Singer 9W? The 127x1 needles or the Boye 18?

I will try and get a picture posted tomorrow.

Nancy
The WW 8 uses a Boye #27, which is a round shank needle as opposed to the # 18 or 127 X 1, which has a flat shank. There are probably industrial needles which will work, but I can't tell you off-hand. If I find out, I will let you know.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:27 PM

Has any one heard of a Minnehaha treadle sewing machine. Done a search on Yhoo and didn't come up with anything.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 PM

Sew happy to be getting updates now.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Remember me telling you guys about a 1887 Wheeler & Wilson that was for sale on Craigslist, but the guy was in the VA hospital so I couldn't see the machine?

Well, I got it today. His mother brought it over from Portugal in the 70's. The cabinet is in excellent shape. The machine also looks great for being 123 years old. The cabinet is a coffin top.

It says "Wheeler & Wilson W9" on the machine. Miz Johnny or Billy does that mean it uses the same needles as my Singer 9W? The 127x1 needles or the Boye 18?

I will try and get a picture posted tomorrow.

Nancy
The WW 8 uses a Boye #27, which is a round shank needle as opposed to the # 18 or 127 X 1, which has a flat shank. There are probably industrial needles which will work, but I can't tell you off-hand. If I find out, I will let you know.
Miz Johnny it says across the front Wheeler & Wilson and down the arm 'W9' doesn't that make it a 9W machine not a WW 8?

Billy already said it would use the same needles as the Singer 9W? I am confused?

Nancy
Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Banned

Okay anyone want a nice White Featherweight and case for a good price? Buy it now for $292.50 ebay.

Here is the listing number: 400153552028

Billy
Old 10-12-2010, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mary M
Has any one heard of a Minnehaha treadle sewing machine. Done a search on Yhoo and didn't come up with anything.
You must mean a Minnesota machine?

Nancy
Old 10-12-2010, 05:20 AM

Love the site, just don't have the time to read almost 400 pgs at first swipe, so guess it will have to be a few at a time. I collect old machines, primarily the black Singers, but do have a few others which I call clones. I love to rescue and rehab them. I currently have about 40 in my collection, but at times past have had more. I now sell a few so that I can rescue more. You just cant bet the oldies but goodies!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:20 AM

Love the site, just don't have the time to read almost 400 pgs at first swipe, so guess it will have to be a few at a time. I collect old machines, primarily the black Singers, but do have a few others which I call clones. I love to rescue and rehab them. I currently have about 40 in my collection, but at times past have had more. I now sell a few so that I can rescue more. You just cant bet the oldies but goodies!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:18 AM

patdesign, I love your avatar! Is your pug taking sewing lessons?!? :lol:
Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 AM

So cute. He is the sewing machine security guard!