Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is There An Easier Way? >

Is There An Easier Way?

Is There An Easier Way?

Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 AM

after all the suggestions, I think I will purchase the scissors.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:06 AM

I clip seams after sewing each row of squares. Then I clip each row seams when the rows are sewn together. Then when I am done, all I have to do is clip around the entire quilt. And, as others suggested, don't try to do it all at once. Sew a row, clip, rest. Sew another row, clip, rest. Sew these 2 rows together, clip, rest. I think you get the picture.

A more expensive option, but definitely worth it if you plan to make many rag quilts is to get the Accucut GO! They have a die that is perfect for rag quilts.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kate
I have the Heritage Cutlery 6.5 inch rag quilting snips. Well worth the money.
I have ones I use for thread clipping is that what you all are using, I also use fiscar ergonomic and any thing I can find , my key board is ergonomic too sure saves the rists and hands.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:15 AM

LOL. I made my first one last month. made the quilt in a day. took two weeks to get all the cutting done! I bought the special rag scissors that made it easier but it still took a long time. Made my second one with vertical strips instead of blocks. just as cute and less cutting.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
they make rag quilt clippers, they're spring loaded and well worth the price even if you only make one!
I second this, the right tool for the job makes all the difference. I have made several rag quilts and double fleece edged tied quilts with these. I have arthitis so it is a hand saver.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 AM

I took it to a basketball game with extra scissors. People really wanted a chance to help and they also learned something! Now when I take the quilt to football games they say, "That's the quilt I helped make!" Creating quilters wherever we go...
Old 10-12-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by dellareya
After making only one, I broke down and bought the spring loaded scissors. Made life a lot easier for rag quilts.
Same here, what a change.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by cindle
I just finished sewing together my first rag quilt I made up of flannel squares from my stash. Now comes the cutting OMG my hand is already killing me and all I've done is cut the outside edges of the quilt and started to do one row. Is there any way to make this not hurt your hand and make blisters?
It would be good to invest in the rag quilt snips. They are worth the money. And as suggested do a little at a time, not all at once.
Charlene
Old 10-12-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by bob1414
Please be careful!! I developed "trigger thumb" because of this and had to have a cortisone shot while living in Panama. This shot was the most painful thing I've been through (I won't go into details but I dont' think the shot was given properly).
Anyway, take your time, use a clipper made for this project and again, be careful!!
Too late, I already have arthritis in my right thumb. It's manageable so far.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:53 AM

if you do another quilt like this one, cut each row as you finish sewing, that way your hands don't get so tired. Been there, done that!