Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
log cabin question how to >

log cabin question how to

log cabin question how to

Old 10-12-2010, 06:36 AM

It depends on how fast you want to make your quilt. If you want fewer blocks that make up fast, then use a larger center and wider strips. If you want a bunch of smaller units, then use smaller/narrower elements.

This is where it pays to pull out your graph paper and colored pencils, and play with the finished look before you cut anything.

There are quilt programs out there that will do the same thing, but I guess I'm "old school."
Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 AM

Mine don't curl. I think it saves fabric for me because if precut I would want to cut it a little longer just to be sure. It works for me, maybe not for others.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:04 AM

I always use strips - the way eleanor burns does - I don't even cut too many strips - I cut as I go and square up each time - I don't cut way too many strips and I think you save fabric when you don't cut all the strips at once.... And you save time and less likely to make a mistake....
Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by cjr
I know many of you make log cabin quilts, as I've seen many posted here. How do you do your log cabin quilts? I am incooperating log cabins in a quilt I'm working on. I did a test block by cutting logs from a long strip after sewing. My instructor says all should be precut or will curl. My test did not curl. How do you do them and why?
Iam working on my first log cabin and it is pieced and quilted at the same time. I pre cut all my scraps on the cross grain, and guess what, even with a walking foot they are stretching about a half inch on 12 or 13, SO I question the logic of precutting except for having to stop and start. The first square went REALLY fast, and its an 18 x 18 finished. The math for figuring out the strip sizes nearly finished me, but I had to do that first, or I would have been way off on my ydgs. Don't think I will ever cut another lc on the crossgrain.l :-D
Old 10-12-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by k9dancer
It depends on how fast you want to make your quilt. If you want fewer blocks that make up fast, then use a larger center and wider strips. If you want a bunch of smaller units, then use smaller/narrower elements.

This is where it pays to pull out your graph paper and colored pencils, and play with the finished look before you cut anything.

There are quilt programs out there that will do the same thing, but I guess I'm "old school."
SO RIGHT!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:04 PM

Thank you for asking your question CJR other wise I may have made a costly error making a log cabin quilt. I will definately follow all the advise to cut as you go, not pre cut my logs.

Happy quilting...Andie :thumbup:
Old 10-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by cjr
I know many of you make log cabin quilts, as I've seen many posted here. How do you do your log cabin quilts? I am incooperating log cabins in a quilt I'm working on. I did a test block by cutting logs from a long strip after sewing. My instructor says all should be precut or will curl. My test did not curl. How do you do them and why?
I have the Marti Michel Log Cabin ruler and I have used it for almost everything except Log Cabin blocks. LOL.
I have better luck doing it Eleanor Burns style and cutting and squaring up as I go.
It's really a matter of personal perference. If you find you like to precut though it might be worth investing in the Marti Michel ruler. It does make it more difficult to screw up.
Have fun!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:02 PM

I made my first quilt -- a log cabin -- without knowing much of anything. I had Judy Martin's newest book, not realizing that 20 years earlier I had her first that I gave to my mother-in-law and she made a quilt for my husband & me.

Anyway, Judy suggests precutting BUT not across the grain, she suggests the lenghtwise direction. I did what she said, the quilt went together perfectly. Didn't realize when I took it to the quilter that I was supposed to square it up. SURPRISE, that wasn't a problem, it was perfectly square -- A twin size quilt I made for my Uncle.

If I remember that's the quilt I have for a photo.

Don't know what went right; but, it did.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:31 PM

I only precut the 1st two strips. After that it's stitch and trim.
QUESTION: When I trim a strip, I always do it BEFORE I open it up and press it. Curious as to how everyone else does it??
Old 10-12-2010, 04:01 PM

I have done it both ways. Do whatever works for you.