Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is There An Easier Way? >

Is There An Easier Way?

Is There An Easier Way?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by cindle
I just finished sewing together my first rag quilt I made up of flannel squares from my stash. Now comes the cutting OMG my hand is already killing me and all I've done is cut the outside edges of the quilt and started to do one row. Is there any way to make this not hurt your hand and make blisters?
There has been tons of comments about the Accuquilt GO! fabric cutter. It has a die that will cut the rag quilt squares and you don't have to cut the edges by hand it is all done for you. To late for the one you are making, but you might want to check it out if you are planning on making more. They have many great die cuts.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:15 AM

The accuquilt cutter (? I think this is the one) has a template for cutting these automatically, before piecing.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:01 PM

when it is time , have the surgery. I did in both thumbs and i have to arthritis now. I would have been disabled if i had not had it.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:35 PM

love my rag quilt scissors takes no time at all. Bought my first pair at Joanns with a 50% off coupon and the found 4 pairs in a clearance bin at Michaels took them all they were only 4dollars a piece same ones I bought at Joanns My sister and sil both received a pair
Old 10-12-2010, 03:08 PM

Hmm I'm wondering if maybe using electric scissors might work.
I haven't tried it yet but who knows it just might work. :D
Old 10-12-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by BizyStitches
Originally Posted by cindle
I just finished sewing together my first rag quilt I made up of flannel squares from my stash. Now comes the cutting OMG my hand is already killing me and all I've done is cut the outside edges of the quilt and started to do one row. Is there any way to make this not hurt your hand and make blisters?
There has been tons of comments about the Accuquilt GO! fabric cutter. It has a die that will cut the rag quilt squares and you don't have to cut the edges by hand it is all done for you. To late for the one you are making, but you might want to check it out if you are planning on making more. They have many great die cuts.
So when you use this to pre cut the rag quilt pieces, is it hard to sew seams with edges already clipped?
Old 10-12-2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
they make rag quilt clippers, they're spring loaded and well worth the price even if you only make one!
I agree 100%!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:51 PM

I have an accut that has a rug cut. If anyone is interested in me cutting your fabric for you let me know [email protected]
Old 10-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Those special rag snips are wonderful. I was given a pair by a friend and it is among my most prized tools ... esp for rag quilts.

The weed whacker idea is from John Flynn.

I take my quilt to the laundromat to wet it and then use their dryer - no heat - to tumble it and get all the lint out. No way do I want to mess up my dryer at home. You'll be surprised at the amount of threads that come off. Then I dry it when it looks nice enough.

ali
Old 10-12-2010, 05:29 PM

by all means get the snips that will make it easier