Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you design your quilts?  Share your Tips & Tricks with us >

Do you design your quilts? Share your Tips & Tricks with us

Do you design your quilts? Share your Tips & Tricks with us

Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by vjengels
I do design most of my quilts; it always starts with ' I want a blue, green, red, purple, etc.. colored quilt' then I decide what block(s) I'll make, next is the size. Then I just keep making blocks until I have a size I'm happy with.
I currently have a 'red white & blue' quilt in the making, it'll use EPP , big stich, and applique with sashing between the blocks.
Could I ask what is EPP? :?:
Old 10-11-2010, 02:14 PM

Could I ask what is EPP? :?:[/quote]

English Paper Piecing
Old 10-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I use graph paper and sketch out. Also a LOT of math. There is much cussing, wailing and gnashing of teeth when I screw up simple equations.
i have dh, the engineer check my math... just like he did all the kids math & science homework... i'm wrong quite frequently, but he never is... doesn't use a calculator either...
Old 10-12-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
what # on EQ?

Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
I use EQ.
EQ6 Just recently loaded it. Needed to upgrade my computer before I could use it. Previously had EQ5
Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 AM

Dear quilter, I use graph paper most of the time. I start out with the size of the backing to determine the finished size of the quilt. Many times I have to increase the size of the back. The area I work in restricts me to quilts from 42 to 44 wide to 70 to 72 long. This helps me determine the size of the blocks to be used. If it works well, the graph design is kept for future use. God bless you. Quilting Joan
Old 10-12-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by katesnanna
I have done a couple on graph paper. One because I was being paid for it. Usually though I have kind of an idea what I want and make up my mind as I go.
Fortunately for me maths has never been hard. I use to draft clothing patterns years ago. I can look at a quilt and generally work out the pattern. I may change a few things. I do a lot of picture quilts and I Spy quilts for kids.
I like to make something outside my comfort zone every now and then. Just wish I had more hours in the day. Would get more sewing done if I stayed off the computer. When I leave it turned off I do get some sewing done.
Yup! Leaving the computer off is the ONLY way to get anything else done. This board is way too much fun!:lol: :lol:
Old 10-12-2010, 04:43 PM

I'm bad, i don't know where to start for design your own, I just see a pattern or fabric i like, (never buy enough) and try to put it together in some sort of layout. I have only done 2 of my own, and a quilt as you go, that was a class one and the 2nd i used up the scraps. I will eventually get more involved into the planning and set out of it, i suppose. But working full time, i don't get the time to concentrate on the designing until i am ready :)
Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 PM

I play around with designs in Quilt Wizard and recently got EQ7, which I'm still learning what all it will do...and how to get it to do all it's good stuff!

Mostly for actually doing a quilt I just sort of play it by ear and let it happen. Sometimes I really like how it turns out, other times not so much...the main reason I got EQ7 was to be able to put my fabrics in for a 'test drive' to prevent some of my more 'blah' (not enough contrast) outcomes. I have a tendency to have all the fabrics too close to the same "medium" colors.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:59 PM

please I am new to this site and wonder what is EQ?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:05 PM

Is there a pattern for the I Spy quilts that you make ? My 4 year old grandson loves "reading" the I Spy books with me. He would love a quilt made by Mema