Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
WARNING!!!  DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR QUILT!!!!  I BLEW IT!!! >

WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR QUILT!!!! I BLEW IT!!!

WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR QUILT!!!! I BLEW IT!!!

Old 09-12-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Virginia
Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
Originally Posted by Virginia
Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
I was brave. I told myself these ink marks will come out with hair spray. Yes, I really badly wanted to mark my quilt with an ink pen for precise quilting! It soaked for 2 days in ammonia, scrubbed with tooth brushes endlessly and sprayed with the cheapest grade of hair spray (that works the best) and still there are INK PEN MARKS ON MY QUILT!!! yikes. :oops: I've scrubbed with everything and think I have actually set the ink in for good. :? :oops: I'll wash it 100 times and it'll be gone! ;) :cry:
I love your Baptist fan quilt, stitching & all. Try covering up the ink with a colored quilting thread. In addition, I went on line and printed the info about the pen I use for marking. It is a PILOT G-2 07. For me it always washes out first washing. If you think you will have a problem read the following about the PILOT Pen:Resolved QuestionShow me another »
Pilot g-2 07 ink pen stain?

Block User

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Place a terry towel rag inside of the ink stain. Saturate the stain with rubbing alcohol, agitate it into the fiber and blot with another rag as it loosens the ink. Continue doing this until the ink transfers out of the fibers into both of the rags, pre-spot with Resolve, Zout, Shout or spray n wash then launder as usual with your regular detergent.

"The Terry Towel is the secret. You need something for the transfer. Just try to stay away from a pen which is marked permanent. You will never get it out. It only becomes lighter with each washing. My husband was a USPS employee and was constantly coming home with ink stained shirt pockets. Believe me ladies it works.
I remember your name. I remember you were the one who commented earlier on this thread about the Pilot pen. I can't tell you how THANKFUL(!!) I am for this info!! I love Pilot pens and I will definitely be using them from now on! I can get it also in a fine point and I love that part! You are right about the Terry Towel!! Absorbtion is necessary!! When I sprayed with the WD-40, I turned the quilt over and all the ink had been transferred to the back. It was covered with ink supposedly from all the applications of products I used! I failed to use anything to absorb it depending entirely on the product to remove it all! The Pentech pen was not permanent ink but reacted that way. Gel inks are reportedly I read unremovable but I'm sure that some of you ladies have removed gel ink before! Thank you so much for this info on the absorbtion and on the Pilot pens! Thank you so much for loving my little Baptist Fans mini and all. I really freehandedly drew the lines without being exact. Next time I will evenly space them. haha. So many have suggested to cover the stain with heavy decorative stitching but that would've meant a mirror image to be done likewise for the remaining 3 corners that each had different quilting patterns in. I saw removing the stain as a quicker solution than risking screwing up even worse by decorative stitching, threadpainting or just more HQ for each of the 4 corners.

My little mini that was stained purple is now smiling and tickled pink!
:D :D :D ;) :oops:
Good, glad to hear you had success. Love to talk to you.
Thank you, dear!! :D :D :thumbup:
Old 09-24-2010, 08:07 PM

Try hairspray...this usually works on ink. If it doesn't, try peroxide.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by spooky
Try hairspray...this usually works on ink. If it doesn't, try peroxide.
Thank you so much, spooky!!! Hairspray never failed me before til this quilt :oops: and peroxide is a GREAT suggestion!! You just have to be careful it doesn't bleach your fabrics!! :oops: :thumbup: :oops:
Old 10-14-2010, 03:27 PM

If you haven't put it in a dryer try an artist brush clearner. There is a package you can purchase in craft store like Michaels or Art Supply (or an artist friend) that has:
1. Kiss off to remove just about everything.
2.The Masters Brush Clearner
3. bar of Masters hand soap. This runs about $7.00 or so.
An acrylic artist pink brush cleaner that is liquid is also good.

I have successfully removed dark brown dried acrylic car model paint for a pale beige carpet. My grandson and friend used cardboard and newspaper to protect but it just somehow got on the carpet. I was visiting and ran for the emergency kit yelling I can get it out -- and I did.
It will take a little slow work but it is worth a little more time to save your wonderful work of art.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sanhope
If you haven't put it in a dryer try an artist brush clearner. There is a package you can purchase in craft store like Michaels or Art Supply (or an artist friend) that has:
1. Kiss off to remove just about everything.
2.The Masters Brush Clearner
3. bar of Masters hand soap. This runs about $7.00 or so.
An acrylic artist pink brush cleaner that is liquid is also good.

I have successfully removed dark brown dried acrylic car model paint for a pale beige carpet. My grandson and friend used cardboard and newspaper to protect but it just somehow got on the carpet. I was visiting and ran for the emergency kit yelling I can get it out -- and I did.
It will take a little slow work but it is worth a little more time to save your wonderful work of art.
Thank you so much, Sanhope!! Know that everyone appreciates hearing your tips and experience! Kissoff is good and I know people will love having these tips at hand when they run across a similar accident like your DGS had! It's so good to know there is Masters hand soap that WILL remove it unlike so many products that have failed us quilters! Thank you again!!

:-D :-D :-D Also, welcome to the QB as we know you will love it here in all that you see and learn!! ;-) :D :thumbup:
Old 10-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

soak it in Oxy clean and rub areas a bit too. should take it out. I got out pencil marks that were yrs old.
good luck.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:46 PM

I, too, like a very fine line for marking. I've been using the Fons & Porter marking pencil. It has two different kinds of "lead", one white for dark fabrics and one dark for lighter fabrics. The marks come out just by brushing...no problem. You might consider using this rather than ink. Hope one of these suggestions work. My DH gets ink stains in his pockets, so I'll be checking back to find out what works best! Good luck!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
soak it in Oxy clean and rub areas a bit too. should take it out. I got out pencil marks that were yrs old.
good luck.
Thank you, nativetexan, so much for your great tip!! I love Oxiclean but it has failed me many times trying to get grease out of my clothes from work so I nixed trying that. It sure does get old stains out that have been in for awhile!! I know it ranks up there near the top for removing the toughest stains and it's worth considering trying!!

:-D :-D :-D
Old 10-15-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by sylviak
I, too, like a very fine line for marking. I've been using the Fons & Porter marking pencil. It has two different kinds of "lead", one white for dark fabrics and one dark for lighter fabrics. The marks come out just by brushing...no problem. You might consider using this rather than ink. Hope one of these suggestions work. My DH gets ink stains in his pockets, so I'll be checking back to find out what works best! Good luck!
Thank you, sylviak!! Those F&P pencils are great I hear and I've surely read up on them before but I would probably steer closer toward a colored ink that's removable being the artist I am and loving colors the most. Since your DH gets ink stains often in his pockets, check out what Virginia wrote (it's on pg. 18) since her recommendations have proven effective from her USPS-employed DH coming home constantly w/ink stained pockets! Her secret key was "absorbption" and she was right! If I had applied what she suggested, I wouldn't have had to treat the 'backside' of my quilt when all the ink was blown to the back from different sprays I used, duh. We live and learn. People who live with having to remove ink stains constantly are experienced! Sure hope everyone will benefit from all the great tips here. There are just so many wonderful products out there to try but I like sticking with the 'tried and true' methods! Actually, I think the first line of defense for ink is the rubbing alcohol. It's the first thing we think about when we have an ink stain usually and a professional bridal gown restorer confirmed it's what they use first. Hope this helps you for any future spills! Thanks again, sylvia!!

:-D :-D ;) ;)
Old 10-16-2010, 08:32 AM

LOL - not laughing at your mistake - laughing cause I did the same thing only with pencil which was suppose to come out -- so I just called it a desgin element and gave it someone who didn't know any better - they loved it...and so did the baby......and should the quilt police put you in jail you'll have something fun to do!!!!!