Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What types of lights do you use in your quilting rooms? >

What types of lights do you use in your quilting rooms?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 AM

I have three ott lights and the ceiling light that I use when need more light. On my old Janome machine I had bought one of those lights you attach and that worked great. Haven't used my new machine so not sure how lighting will be. I like my ott lights but they are pricey.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:46 AM

I have a floor model OTT light, it is bendable, set up at my machine. And a ceiling florescent light.
At my embroidery machine I have an old floor lamp that has 2 separate lights, I have aiming on my module and one on the work space next to my machine.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:43 PM

The true benefit for the Ott light is that it give a true color at any time of day or night. Many Artist have found painting at night looks great until they take their painting into the day light. It sticks out like a sore thumb. If you have trouble with color you will benefit. All Ott lights are not true in discount stores. The best deal is go to a Art supply company or possibly Lowes or Home Depot and look for a TRUE COLOR LIGHT BULB. This will give you the same thing it will be cost effective even if the bulb is more expensive than normal.
Odd news item in our NC area from a Neorologist is that some people who have seizure problems should not use the new curly flouresant bulbs. They said effects 6% - small amount but if your family needs this information there you go.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:46 PM

I use regular light in the ceiling light and I have a floor Ott light with a bendable neck.

Originally Posted by craftybear

Ott Lights?
Bendable lights that attaches to your machines?

Flourescent lights?

This should be a fun topic to discuss!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
I have a window in my dining room where I sew, but after dark it's like a dungeon. The overhead is a chandelier that has four candle type bulbs in yellow glass pointing up. I've got to do something. I'm going blind!
I'm in a simular situation, maybe my quilts would be better if I could see what I'm doing. :oops:
Old 10-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

I use Ott table lamps and lots of floor lamps that use the 150 watt bulbs. None of the energy saving get a headache, go blind, twirly bulbs for me. I want my sewing room as bright as it can be when the sun goes down. My house is lit as bright as day inside at evening time. I detest the dark.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:07 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I have a 4-foot shop light (not pretty) with four cool white fluorescent tubes.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

In my sewing room, I use an Ott lite by my machine and one at my cutting mat. I have 2 halogen "torch" lamps that really light up the place. Plus 4 big windows on one end.
My quilting room has 4 fluorescent "full spectrum" bulbs, plus I have 2 lights at the long-arm. And 2 windows.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:25 PM

The room I use (a spare bedroom) has a basic ceiling light so I have 3 Ott lights that really help. I have a table one by each machine and a floor one for my design wall when I hang up blocks or for finished tops so I can see the "true" colors. I'm also fortunate to have 2 very large windows in the room.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:42 PM

I have an ott lite floor model with bendable neck. Don't know what I did without it now that I have it. Got it at Lowes. I also have those bulbs that last for 7 yrs. I think in my ceiling fan light. Takes 4 and it gives the true color.
BillsBonBon