Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your back ache when you sew quilts? >

Does your back ache when you sew quilts?

Does your back ache when you sew quilts?

Old 10-16-2010, 02:57 PM

I keep my ironing board in one room and my sewing machine ina another for the same reason as many others here == it forces me to getup and move.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:20 PM

I agree sewing for a couple hours makes my back hurt as well. My issue is between the shoulder blades. I get a massage every 3 to 4 weeks and that only helps for a week and then the pain is back. I also use a heating pad and that helps. I will take the pain because I love to quilt and refuse to give it up.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:24 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by susies1955
I've heard that these work well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2IIJSA456GAZX
I read it on a quilters blog and she recommended it. I just ordered it.
Susie
It is carried at all sports/athletic stores, and cheaper. I got mine at Big 5 for $19. I use it when I am driving on long trips too.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:34 PM

My back kills me whenever I sew in a chair. I snatched one of those ergonomical computer chairs from my husband's office. WOW! It's the kind that you sit your butt and knees on. I hang my right foot off...oh, and I can't wear a shoe when i sew. No more back pain at all! I can sew for hours on end now :)
Old 10-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Try accupuncture. The best thing in the world for everything. I am scared to death of needles these don"t hurt at all. You will feel like you are floating and weight less the greatest feeling in the world.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:41 PM

I iron after every seam I sew, if my ironing board were in another room I would have to skip that step. I have mine set up so I can just turn the swival chair and presto the iron is there. Getting up and down puts to much pressure on my knees. Which causes it own problems. I do get up to measure and cut, lay the pieces out on the floor etc..

I excercise regurally in the AM, plus I do some stretching excercises during the day to keep loose.

Joyce
Old 10-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

I have this but it didn't seem to help me. My sister uses it and loves it.
Originally Posted by Drew
On of my Guild members always wears this:

http://www.nancysnotions.com/p2p/sea...rrivals&page=1

She says it helps quite a bit.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Banned

Have you tried cutting your table legs down? My husband did that for me and it really helps.
Originally Posted by klutzyquilter
Originally Posted by GwenH
........I also am very short about 4'7" so I found that having my foot stretched out on the foot peddle was really hard on my siatica, so I have a little foot stool that I have my machine peddle on, I also have enough room to put my other foot on the stool, this does keeps my hip from hurting. I also have a small footstool at my computer and both feet are on it, it's definately not fun being short :cry:
I also have one of those weighted harness's and I do think it helps, just have to remember to wear it... :lol:
I'm 5' and can relate to what you say about being short ... will try your suggestion of the stool to accommodate my foot pedal as well as my opposite foot. Thanks !!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:47 PM

yes i have had that problem with the backache i have found that if you sit with your back in a straight up and down postion you know good posture and using a higher chair on wheels works great . if you feel your back bothering you wheel yourself around in a small area using your legs to move will release the lower back muscles to releive lower back pain
Old 10-16-2010, 05:12 PM

I set the timer on my mobile(cell)phone which makes such an irritating noise, I have no choice but to get up and walk to the kitchen where I leave it and reset it for another 25 mins.Gives me a chance to stretch my legs, hang out a load of washing and any such small jobs that get forgotten about when I'm having fun sewing. Also switch between the foot pedal and the pedal free option.