Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric? >

Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric?

Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric?

Old 10-16-2010, 03:32 PM

I sure do even at garage Sales. sometimes at grage sale they are so cheap I buy them for buttons
Old 10-16-2010, 03:42 PM

I search for good cotton shirts at the thrift stores to do Bonnie Hunter quilts. That way I can incorporate them into my quilts with my scraps to do up big quilts and it saves a lot of $ in a years time.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:08 PM
lue

I am a frequent Goodwill (GW Inc) shopper (just walked in the door from there) and I always look for quilt fabrics and supplies. One day I got an unopened bag of QUEEN size batting (JoAnn's sells it) for $1.99. This week I went to JoAnn's to look for batting for my granddaughter's birthday quilt (TWIN size) and it was $11.95 AND I didn't have a coupon! I have found beautiful cottons at GW Inc but I'm never sure how to tell whether it's 100% or cotton/poly blend. Any help with THAT would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:29 PM

I have freq bought XXL-3XXL ladies dresses or a the tiered " praire skirts" for entire quilts..... and my goodwill freq has .50 cent days and bag days... thats when I hit em....
Old 10-16-2010, 05:32 PM

When I was in FL I had a domestic violence ministry. I would go to thrift stores, second hand stores and yard sales and find women's clothing and children's clothing and if it was in good condition and just had a stain I would applique, or embroider over it and take it to the shelters. Really never thought about using the clothing for projects although I did once purchase a wedding gown and made two christening gowns out of it!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:38 PM

No, and I don't understand why anyone starts a topic with those words. Think about the answers ;-)
Old 10-16-2010, 05:39 PM

I haven't thought of that before. That is a wonderful idea. I'll have to tell the ladies at my church about that too. I don't think they have thought of it either. Thanks for the tip
Old 10-16-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by MrsM
I remember a woman who took all her husbands old shirts to a rumage sale. At some point in the day she came upon them thinking they would make a great quilt. It wasn't until she got home that she realized she bought her husbands shirts.
This sounds like a great story that needs cartoon pictures!!!!
Still laughing!! Thanks
Old 10-16-2010, 06:06 PM

Dear Kriscraft,
I am glad to hear I am not the only one who haunts the thrift stores. In the past I have bought dresses for the material, but have had much better luck with 100% cotton sheets for only $2.00 a sheet, no matter what size. Have had such success that my stash has grown considerably. Hubby and I go at least once a week to three or four shops and sometimes more and always stop at Goodwill and Salvation Army and any other thrift store we see along the way when we are traveling. It is really a lot of fun to see what can be found in those places. I am in the process of making a quilt for my oldest granddaughter (13) from brightly colored sheets. I have also been collecting flannel sheets and when I get enough of the right colors am planning to make a rag quilt. I read that flannel makes a great rag quilt. Would love feedback from those of you who do use flannel. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:07 PM

Now, that is a great idea... some of our thrift stores here have half off day... today was one... I wished I had thought to look through those....