Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Police >

Quilt Police

Quilt Police

Old 10-15-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I've decided the quilt police are a myth and I don't need to worry about them anymore...If it's made with love, what else matters?
Love is all I need :-)
No, the quilt police are not a myth... they are real and they are not people I need or want to be around.

Our guild had several a few years ago... yes, granted they were very good piecers and machine quilters... BUT after they left for various reasons... our guild seemed to thrive! It is now fun to be there and we help one another, share ideas, take turns hosting a "lesson" each month, and we can ask the proverbial "stupid" question -without getting a glare or rolled eyes or "tsk-tsk" comment- and get a constructive answer.

If you encounter one of the QP, RUN! Run very fast in the opposite direction.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:00 PM

I am my own worst everything police. My perfectionist tendencies mean I am always beating myself up over my performance - quilts, parenting, work, you name it. It drives me and makes me a high achiever, but I would like to learn to dial it back.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:17 PM

I agree Cindy....I will not show off my quilts as I am affraid of the remarks I will get. I know that the blocks are off and the seams are not always straight but I still love to keep trying. I have made quilts for babies and for my children but when it comes to doing it for others I am afraid they will not like what I do so I pittle at home. Oh well like you I am trying to get used to the idea at least I am trying and not feeling sorry for myself.
Classes are helping me though I must say..Now if I can get the machine quilting down I think I will be okay....I got a new Bernia 440QE with a stitch regulator as a gift and I still am learning..
Old 10-16-2010, 08:49 AM

I just finished a Queen Size Quilt (my first bed-size quilt) for my husband. He wanted a scrappy quilt that reminded him of when he helped his mother cut out the pieces for the quilts she made back in the 50's.

I cussed, fussed and procrastinated the whole way through the quilt because it was driving my crazy - particularly the puckers on the backing - don't know if it was me, the fabric, the machine or a combination of all 3 = but I knew I wasn't happy with the puckers. Just got tired of ripping them out and redoing just for more puckers!

Anyways - he LOVES it! Said it is perfect and who cares about some puckers - he says it is to keep him warm and bring back happy memories - and the fact that I made it makes it perfect to him!

And, you know what - when I step back and look it - it's not all that bad - it's not for a quilt show but so what????

POX on the Quilt Police!

Cindyh
Old 10-16-2010, 09:14 AM

I don't have any of those unmentionables around here. I call mistakes "character". ;)
Old 10-16-2010, 09:40 AM

My quilting group have been meeting for 20 yrs. I started it as beginers group and now the eldest is 83 yrs old,I told them on the first week that any mistakes in their work was 'their statement' and each quilt was quite unique to them. In this age of manufactured goods it is wonderful to see 'home made'. Quilt Police? Tell them to go get a life !! xx
Old 10-16-2010, 01:22 PM

I am into row 9 of my bagello quilt. It's my 1st and probably last. I just made all the squares the same. Some I did not meet the seam perfectly. I just finished pressing the seam. It does not lay perfectly flat yet, each time I press, they lay flat. I can live with this, and I look at the quilt and after putting it all together and tying, won't notice those imperfections. It's made with love.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:27 PM

No quilt police in my neck of the woods... I have it posted on an invisible sign only they can see in my yard *grin*
Old 10-17-2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by cpfrog
I've decided the quilt police are a myth and I don't need to worry about them anymore...If it's made with love, what else matters?
Love is all I need :-)
No, the quilt police are not a myth... they are real and they are not people I need or want to be around.

Our guild had several a few years ago... yes, granted they were very good piecers and machine quilters... BUT after they left for various reasons... our guild seemed to thrive! It is now fun to be there and we help one another, share ideas, take turns hosting a "lesson" each month, and we can ask the proverbial "stupid" question -without getting a glare or rolled eyes or "tsk-tsk" comment- and get a constructive answer.

If you encounter one of the QP, RUN! Run very fast in the opposite direction.
I just love your post. This is why I have not joined a guild. I have found them to be very snobby. I want my quilting to fun and reflect what I love
Old 10-17-2010, 05:41 AM

Well Said!