Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric? >

Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric?

Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric?

Old 10-16-2010, 06:08 PM

We have made those and find them to be really heavy...but very warm..
Old 10-16-2010, 06:34 PM

oh oh Shirts !! I love to applique on them and then turn them into pillows after I have quilted a few together ! The grands just go nuts over them ! They love the free momo (motion) sewing Gram does on her quilts !lol
Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 PM

I discovered fabric in a thrift store when looking for yarn. I also look for zippers, often still in their original package, unique buttons still on their original card and other sewing/crafting materials. I make sundresses for children in distressed areas such as Haiti and Mexico. I use pillow cases in good condition, they are perfect for certain sizes.

I have never used clothing for fabric but have a good friend who does all the time.

In otherwords you are not alone in being thrifty by using thrift stores as a fabric source.

(P.S.) I am new to this and have never ever sent a reply to anything. Hope I did this alright.

(P.P.S.) I have made a small flannel rag quilt and a flannel rag jacket. I found flannel fun and easy to work with, altho a little linty.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:08 PM

I don't think so.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:10 PM

The Santa pajamas material on my avatar are from a thrift store shirt. I looked in all the LQS and joanns and could not find the perfect fabric. A friend told me they had a lot of holiday shirts and that I might find what I needed. It was a holiday gift for my mom, so I was really starting to stress being able to finish it......I ended up cheating and using puffy material paint to write the wording so I could finish in time.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 PM

sueisallaboutquilts, If you back a wool (pendelton shirt) quilt with flannel or a minky fabric, it won't be so itchy for him
Old 10-16-2010, 07:31 PM

I found a Christmas jumper & got it for the fabric @ Goodwill :thumbup:
Old 10-16-2010, 07:39 PM

yea sure do. just make 3 quilts for some guys in my life (SIL, etc) mostly from men's plaid thrift store shirts. Some of the best quilts I have ever made! so soft and already "broken in"
Old 10-16-2010, 07:48 PM

I've been collecting men's pink shirts for years from thrift stores and garage/yard sales. I probably have enough to make 10+ king size quilts. Some day I will start on the first one. Ü
Old 10-16-2010, 08:20 PM

You guys need to get to know Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville. She has a couple of books on the subject and a great website.