Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric? >

Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric?

Am I the only one that goes to thrift stores looking for shirts to use as fabric?

Old 10-17-2010, 06:33 AM
PEP

Make cotton lined mittens from them!
Old 10-17-2010, 07:52 AM

i do frequent thrift shops for fabrics too. I walk down the isles and do more touching than looking. I stop when one item feels just right. There is a lot of fabric in the back of a mans shirt.

I check the fancy dress section for stuff for my crazy quilting. It is a great way to get trims. this is so much fun to do.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:53 AM

thrift stores, garage sales all are good the goodwill in my area has a 50% of entire purchase once a month, they also do 50%every day in different areas. sssssso if your good and dont mind spending the time you can get some good bargins. and at this point in time i have more time than money i dont mind once a month going and spending s couple hours looking pjs, scrubs,housecoats there isnt much that i cant figure out how to use. i even use the collar to make chew toys for my dog , just tie a knot in it and he likes it better than any thing ive ever bought at the store which he promptly eats literally.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:03 PM

One of the first quilts I made was corduroy. No two blocks were the same... each block had a solid and a print. I went to flea markets, rummage sales, thrift stores and found an incredible selection of prints used in children's pants and overalls... everything from plaids, to florals, to animal prints and paisleys. I hate to admit it... but I think the search and find was even more fun than the cutting and sewing.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
New Goodwill shop in my area but found prices were pretty high, men's shirts about $3 - 5 each. Have to wait until they get overstocked and have some bag specials. May in Jersey
Good luck with bag sales at Goodwill!! Ours NEVER has this, so the turn around in clothing really doesn't much happen! Some of the thrift stores do have bag sales though!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:02 PM

I really thought I was clever going to my local goodwill to scope out clothes for good-looking fabric. I see that many quilters are clever like me!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:08 PM

Our Goodwill has one day a week that they have $1 clearance racks. There are some great finds there
Old 10-17-2010, 05:56 PM

In our guild we had a workshop on felted wool and the instructor said the best source for wool to use this way is a thrift store. We also have a member who volunteers at a thrift store for the community & she makes quilts from unusual fabrics she finds at the thrift store; wool, corduroy, silks, etc.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:10 PM

The Goodwill store in my area, in my opinion, is quite high. I was there last Thurs. I figured I could buy new fabric for the prices in there so I didn't buy anything except 2 big decor pillows for .98 each. Lot cheaper than buying the pillow forms
Old 10-17-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by MrsM
I remember a woman who took all her husbands old shirts to a rumage sale. At some point in the day she came upon them thinking they would make a great quilt. It wasn't until she got home that she realized she bought her husbands shirts.
A friend and I go to breakfast with some retiree friends once a month. On the way home we stop at Goodwill to drop off donations and to see who can "win" with the best finds. Her husband has cautioned her to label the things she drops off so she won't buy them again. It happens.