Calling all Alabama members

Old 10-17-2010, 04:30 PM

I live in Foley, Al and would attend. I would also invite my sister in Columbus, Ga.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:54 AM

I'd be interested, too. I am in the Birmingham area.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:04 AM

Looks like we may have a good crowd. We will be glad to include neighboring states. Here are some of the places I have as possibilities:

http://www.ymcabham.org/HargisRetrea...es/lodges.html

http://www.shmon.org/retreat-center-...or-groups.html

http://www.magnoliaparkretreat.com/index.html

http://www.grandoakretreat.com/gallery.html

I will check out Cheaha and see if they have a suitable room. I know they close the restaurant during the winter, not sure when it reopens. I haven't checked into prices yet. Check them out and let me know what you think.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 AM

I am interested-I live in Tuscaloosa County-but no place in Alabama would be too far to travel for a Quilters Retreat-sounds great! Count me in.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:14 AM

Can you give a rough estimate as to the cost of the retreat? Those of us on a budget need to save up for the retreat and it would be nice to know well in advance. Just a rough estimate please.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 AM

I have contacted these for prices and other info, but haven't heard back yet. This is the information I have available so far. I was thinking a 2 night retreat (arrive Friday evening and leave Sunday afternoon) would be good, but if anyone is interested in a longer one we can see about arriving Thursday. So far it looks like about $200-300.

Hargis has several "lodges" some with private rooms and dorms, some with only dorms. Price will depend on the facility chosen. Only one has a kitchen available.

The Benedictine Sisters have an old college dorm with some shared and some private rooms. Meals will be cafeteria style.

Magnolia Park Retreat has packages available, 2 nights/6 meals for $175, and 3 night/9 meals for $225. They do have a minimum of 15 participants to make reservations.

Grand Oak Retreat has 6 bedrooms that can house 2-6 each. They can accommodate up to 24 tables for quilters and will have irons and felt design boards available.

If anyone has another facility you would like considered, please let me know. I will be glad to contact them. Also, if there is anything special you would like included (trip to LQS, classes, games) I'll see what is available.

Thanks for all the interest.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 AM

I have heard back from the Grand Oak Retreat:

Hi Beverly,

I would love for you to consider Grand Oak Retreat for your next quilt retreat. The website calendar is up to date so that you can see our availability.

I provide a 5 foot table and chair for each quilter along with cutting tables/mats and ironing boards/irons. I also have 3 portable felt boards for your use. Because of the additional items needed that take up space, I suggest to quilters to max at 15 so that the workspace is not too crowded.

The price is posted on our website depending on how many nights you want to reserve and I serve 3 meals/day. There is also a kitchen in your work area that is stocked with snacks/drinks. For a group of 10 or more during the week we are currently offering the 3rd or 4th night free.

Machines are secure with this being on 30 acres in our home. If you have any other questions just let me know. I look forward to hearing from you!

Cindy H.

They have $200 for the 3 Days/2 Nights Package. Six meals beginning with dinner on the day on arrival day and ending with lunch on departure day (brunch on Sunday). Grand Oak Retreat has 6 bedrooms that can house 2-6 each. If we have it here, some of us will have to share a room.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 AM

This is the response from the Benedictine Sisters in Cullman:

Dear Ms. Presley,

Thank you for your inquiry. We are excited about the possibility of having your group come to our retreat center and hope that we can provide your needs. If you should have any questions after reading this please let us know and we will do our best to help.

Our spring weekend calendar is fairly booked. Below are our weekend openings, and following that are descriptions of each of our two dorms.

Both Mary Hall and Benet Hall are available May 20-22, 2011. There is also a possibility that Mary Hall might be available May 6-7, 2011 (Mother’s Day). We are waiting to hear about another group so we will have to get back to you about that weekend.

Otherwise, all of our spring weekends are booked.

We believe that our large dining room would be appropriate for the quilting and equipment that you will need to setup but we strongly suggest that given your specific workspace requirements that someone from your group come and take a look to ensure that our space meets your needs.

Our smaller facility (Benet Hall) has 21 beds in 11 bedrooms and can accommodate up to 21 individuals depending on whether you share rooms. Our larger facility (Mary Hall) can accommodate up to 18 in private or 47 in shared rooms. In both buildings, hallway bathroom facilities are shared except for two small rooms in Mary Hall which have private baths. We have two dining rooms and two meeting rooms. Reservation of a dorm includes use of one meeting room per dorm reserved and one dining room. Meals are served cafeteria-style.

Benet Hall is a one-story ranch-style building, with several steps up to the front porch which overlooks our pond. It has a living room and a small kitchenette. Mary Hall is a three-story building. The top floor is on the same level as the dining areas and one of the meeting rooms.

Our monastic grounds are beautiful and many retreatants enjoy spending time outdoors as their program and the weather allows. Guests are most welcome to join the Sisters for Lauds each morning and Vespers each evening.

Our group rates are as follows:

Rooms are: Private $55.00 (first night) and $30.00 (each additional night) per person

Shared Room- $45.00 (first night) and $25.00 (each additional night) per person

Meals: Breakfast- $6.00
Lunch - $8.00
Dinner - $10.00 (includes Sunday noon)

Once you make a reservation, we will place you on our calendar. We will then send out paperwork to confirm the reservation. At that point we request a $200 deposit per dorm reserved. This amount will be deducted from your final bill. Please let us know if we can provide any additional information. Information about our Retreat Center can also be found on our website: http://www.shmon.org/retreat-center.html

We hope that this will help you in planning your retreat.

The price will be about the same as Grand Oak Retreat since we will have to pay for meals, but there is a greater possibility that we can get individual rooms. The open weekends are very limited and we will have to get on their calendar ASAP. It will be possible for me to see the facility and keep them in mind for next year.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:49 AM

Here is the response to Magnolia Park Retreat:

Thank you for inquiring about our facility,

Not sure how to address all your questions. First, I guess would be to say that our work space can accommodate up to 28 participants, all with their own work table, trash can and cushioned rolling chair. We have adequate extension cords as well. We do have 2 large cutting mats for cutting stations and a number of cutting rulers and squares.

We provide 2 large ironing boards and irons. And I have 4 design walls that are available. In addition, blue tape only is allowed on open wall space.

Our minimum is 15, but spouses are counted in that 15 because I do not offer discounts for guest and they are provided with all the amenities as our working guests. We have an open snack room that is included, as well as unlimited access to tea and coffee throughout the day. The club house has a large screen TV that many take advantage of, as well as a covered veranda. There are no TV’s or phones in any of the sleeping quarters.

We have 7 apartments that accommodate 4 guests per unit. There are two double beds in the front room, and addition double bed and single bed in another bedroom. Each apartment has one large bathroom that is shared by all guests in that unit. In the past, we put 2 couples in one apartment and each has private sleeping quarters. The sleeping quarters have over 700 sq. feet of space, with 9 ft. ceilings. Each room has its own ceiling fan as well, which greatly decreases any conflict with unit temperature control.

All meals are included, and are prepared daily on site to include all homemade items. We prepare all of our desserts as well as breads from scratch. The meals tend to exceed all our participants expectations. In meal preparation, we will accommodate only severe food allergies with advanced notice.

The work area is in the club house; each apartment is easy walking distance to the club house and is all on level ground. We have no stairs or steps on the property. The entry to the club house is well covered so unloading and / or loading is done without difficulty in any type of weather.

We also have a private spa area with a licensened massage therapist that is available with advance notice prior to coming, and a manicurist that comes on site for manicures and pedicures. These services have additional fees and each provider has her own price lists. I can forward these to you upon request.

As far as security, the club house is locked every night. In fact, the last person leaving from your group accepts responsibility of locking the side exit door when they leave. I secure all other doors before I leave. Actually, I just live across the street and in over the 3 years we have been doing this, there has never been any problem. I am usually back in the club house by 6 am each morning to start breakfast, however some of my participants have really early birds and they are given the key to the club house to enter when ever they like. So you will have constant access to your work space while you are here. There are no other employees, or persons that access the club house during retreat times.

Our fee’s for 2011 will not change and will remain $175 for two nights and 6 meals. $225 for 3 nights and 9 meals. Any additional nights with 3 meals increase by $45 per person.

We do offer discounts for groups with 20 or more full time participants.

Should you have any further questions or woud like a tour of our facility, please do not hesitate to contact me.

If we have more than 12 participants, some will have to share a room. The price seems great and she seems quite quilter friendly.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:53 AM

This is fantastic! Just the price range I needed. Let me know which one and ?? deposits??