Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when do you decide to destash fabrics? >

when do you decide to destash fabrics?

when do you decide to destash fabrics?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:28 AM

I de-stashed yesterday, I got rid of 9 bags of fabric that I was never going to use and I was also allergic to 5 bags of it. I had to make room for my new cottons coming soon. :)
Old 10-18-2010, 11:35 AM

Well, unlike a lot of comments here, I have recently been de-stashing. Early in my quilting life I was given a ton of fabric and pieces that were in the estate of a wonderful quilting farm wife. I was grateful to get it, and I have used some of it. However, I recently reviewed all these, and I have decided to de-stash a lot of it. I have come to the realization that I probably will never use it. That dear lady used every bit of fabric available to her...including all her husband's old shirts. He wore them until worn thin, and the fabric is really not suitable for quilting any more. She also loved gingham, and honestly it's not my cup of tea. So, selected parts of the very generous gift will be re-gifted to ladies in our guild who I know will be able to find use for them, except for the shirt fabric. Anyone want it? It's all blue with stripes and plaids, but very thin.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Aully
I de-stashed yesterday, I got rid of 9 bags of fabric that I was never going to use and I was also allergic to 5 bags of it. I had to make room for my new cottons coming soon. :)
We need a like button...you know like on facebook.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:16 PM

I haven't been able to destash yet, so I give free sewing classes at our church and I provide the material for the items we make which in turn, we sell at our Craft and Bake Sale. So I guess that is the way I destash,huh?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:22 PM

I have a room just for fabric. I have to be sneaky to destach. My DH thinks all fabric is suitable for a quilt. When I first got serious about quilting I wasn't as picky as I am now about fabrics. Also all my fabric goes to a precious 85 yo lady that makes quilts for the homeless. She has made almost 4000 in 15 years.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by TxCaRose
I haven't been able to destash yet, so I give free sewing classes at our church and I provide the material for the items we make which in turn, we sell at our Craft and Bake Sale. So I guess that is the way I destash,huh?
Killing two birds with one stone. De-stash, teach sewing and earn money for your church organizations...oh, that's three birds with one stone, your good!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:25 PM

As soon as I "de stash", I find I really needed that one bit of fabric I let go...
Old 10-18-2010, 01:33 PM

De-stash!!! well soon as I try to get rid of anything I find a use for it. Took a stack of samples my sister gave me years ago and thought those can go. Tossed them. Not even 20 min. later I thoght boy those would look good mixed in with demin for a rag quilt. And guess what...out of the trash they came and I a demin rag with them. Some of us just can't get rid of anything!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 PM

I faithfully de-stash by donating to the quilt store. What I did this last time was to start a topic "Is There a Color You Hate?" I confessed I hated pink and any purple that wasn't a jewel-tone. I got a note from this nice lady asking if she could take it off my hands if I didn't want it. I didn't, and sent it to her. It was so nice to get rid of it and she was very happy. I recently went on vacation and bought her a few yards of pink fabric plus I have all my pink/purple buttons and thread ready to be sent to her. I just can't work with those colors and be happy, so out they went.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nolee
I faithfully de-stash by donating to the quilt store. What I did this last time was to start a topic "Is There a Color You Hate?" I confessed I hated pink and any purple that wasn't a jewel-tone. I got a note from this nice lady asking if she could take it off my hands if I didn't want it. I didn't, and sent it to her. It was so nice to get rid of it and she was very happy. I recently went on vacation and bought her a few yards of pink fabric plus I have all my pink/purple buttons and thread ready to be sent to her. I just can't work with those colors and be happy, so out they went.
What a great idea!