Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-18-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
I just picked up one of these at a local resale shop. Wasn't sure, but for $15 decided to go for it. I have all the jewelry and several manuals for it. What is missing is the base, looks like yours is just a plank of wood, is that right? DH wondered what I was gonna do with it, I said clean it up and see if she sings! Seeing your post has me hyped! Thanks.
Yes, my machine sits in a wood like base. It is what was left after the previous owner's took a sledge hammer to the cabinet when the machine jammed. My DH just made a wood frame for the wood base and wired in an old foot pedal. It works perfect now.

Nancy
Old 10-18-2010, 01:52 PM

Billy, are you familiar with this machine? It is a Wizard Deluxe Precision made in Japan. I would love to know when it was made and where I can get a belt for it. It has a parts list in the book that came with it but the belt is not listed.....go figure. It has a model number of 401056. TIA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-109932.jpe
Views:	1097
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	109937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-109933.jpe
Views:	735
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	109938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-109934.jpe
Views:	781
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	109939  
Old 10-18-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045
Billy, are you familiar with this machine? It is a Wizard Deluxe Precision made in Japan. I would love to know when it was made and where I can get a belt for it. It has a parts list in the book that came with it but the belt is not listed.....go figure. It has a model number of 401056. TIA
Geeze, we see something different on here all the time. I never heard of this machine. It looks like it may be a 3/4 size machine . . . the picture makes it look small?

Nancy
Old 10-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lfw045
I will PM you I have all of the parts for this machine in stock. I just need a length of the belt which is easy, you just take a string and go around the pulleys and where they meet that is the length.

Billy
Old 10-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

This listing on craigslist has some interesting information about the blackside parts on a sewing machine.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/art/2014534309.html
Old 10-19-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
This listing on craigslist has some interesting information about the blackside parts on a sewing machine.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/art/2014534309.html
That is interesting. Still don't get what "blackside" is. Taken from poster:"'blackside' parts. Basically, blackened steel rather than chrome."

I have a plate on the back of one of my machines that is blacken steel, a piece of steel cover with black japan. I would consider that as being a "blackside" part.
Plus, numerous of my machines have the "blackside" needle holder and foot, like shown in the CL post.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
...I have a plate on the back of one of my machines that is blacken steel, a piece of steel cover with black japan. I would consider that as being a "blackside" part.
If it's japanned (shiny black) I don't think it's blackside. The blackside finish is nonreflective, dull.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
...I have a plate on the back of one of my machines that is blacken steel, a piece of steel cover with black japan. I would consider that as being a "blackside" part.
If it's japanned (shiny black) I don't think it's blackside. The blackside finish is nonreflective, dull.
Oh, I had no idea about that. Learn something new everyday.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned

Actually it is both depending on the year it was made. But the poster had a lot of misinformation in the listing...... For one the parts were nickle plated and not chrome. Secondly they did this all through production of the machines from before the war to mid to late 50's. The Blackened parts on this machine were done like weapons they were blued. If you try to polish these parts the color will rub off and then they will be shiny again. This is a nice machine but it is not worth what he is asking for it. I have found these machines for a lot less in just as good if not better condition. And there were several different models that they did this to including the Featherweights.

Billy
Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I would love to have a Red eye that isn't a rusted mess.
Any old machines in this area are usually rusted and expensive or if they're not rusted they are $300+
Keep an eye on your local Craigslist. I have 2 red-eyes that came in beautiful cabinets that I bought in the early part of the year, it's almost as if people were clearing out their "junk" after the New Year. I still see them in the CL ads that are selling sewing machine cabinets and the red-eye machine is thrown in as an afterthought.