Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I do? >

What should I do?

What should I do?

Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 PM

My friend had lung cancer and went through several stints of chemo everytime she asked me to make her several lap quilts to take with her bright colors and interesting prints when she died last year she had 21 lap quilts that her family donated in her name to the cancer unit that had taken such great care of her fleece ones were warmest without placing alot of weight on frail bodies
Old 10-18-2010, 06:59 PM

I made a quilt with my sheep batting inside for a friend who had cancer - she has since passed on but she told me several times it was the only thing she could stay both comfortable and warm in. Sheep wool batting is available - check around - place in MI - Zeilinger's I think - I have some if you need it. But don't use the hard somewhat felted stuff I've seen in some stores. Good luck and God bless... I used a flannel back and a designed cotton top.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:09 PM

I volunteer at the quilt ministry at my church. We make quilts for church members (or their friends and family) that have a serious life threatening illness. We place ties in the quilt in place of binding and quilting. As we tie the ties we pray for the person. We make lap quilts that are typically 48 x 60.

Blessings,
Kim
Old 10-18-2010, 08:11 PM

I went thru chemo last year. I wasn't cold during treatments, but sure was after. Each type of chemo causes different side effects. Some are cold during treatment, some after. After each treatment I would freeze to the point my whole body would shake. Thankfully I had a nice fleece snuglet. I had made myself one with the arms. Fleece is nice & soft, very cuddly & not too heavy. I made mine nice & long so I could wrap my feet in it as well. I could stay wrapped up, but yet reach for things without uncovering. It was great. If you make one I'd get non-pill fleece. This is a pdf instruction for making one:
http://www.sissonfamily.com/Sewingro...thesnuglet.pdf
Old 10-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

Quilt with fleece as backing and no other batting. Or a quilt with polly batting and flannel on the back. Make the qulit atleast 50x60. I have not heard of this but how about those lap quilts that can be folded into a pillow shape. they have a pocket center bottom that people can also use to stick their feet in when the blanket is unfolded.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 PM

A Fleece Quilt is the way to go, it is warm and cosy. And being a piano teacher she might want something to do with her hands, so maybe a patchwork project that she can start and finish through her treatment, it will keep her mind occuppied and her hands busy. :)
Old 10-18-2010, 08:56 PM

I agree with Wolfkitty.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 PM

Fleece - either alone or as backing on a quilt. I was just at Joanne's (super store) and all their fleece is 50% off - They appear to have several different qualities of fleece with a large variety of patterns on it.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 PM

A fleece quilt is fast and easy and it'll keep her warm physically and mentally because you made it for her from your heart!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 PM

colour is important--note what she is into --rainbow colours can work--not too busy soothing calming is the way to go