Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cabbage Rolls >

Cabbage Rolls

Cabbage Rolls

Old 10-18-2010, 05:19 PM

Feather 3 - Do you cook them before freezing them?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by johnniesgirl
Nope. Freeze them raw. I do NOT cook the filling either.

I use 5# ground chuck, cooked rice (about 3-4 cups cooked let cool before adding to meat), onions, a couple eggs & 1 can condensed tomato soup. Mix it all together. This is placed in the cabbage leaves, then frozen.

When I cook them I use a metal roasting pan. Pull them out of the freezer, let stand long enough to break apart. I lay them in the pan, stack if needed. I then use 3 cans of condensed tomato soup, with a half can of water for each can. Mix it up & pour it over the cabbage rolls. Cover pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2-2 hours, or until done. You check for doneness by sticking a fork in the thick part of the cabbage leaf stem. If they look like they're getting too brown, just baste them. If you have any leftovers they should be cut/sliced to reheat in microwave or they won't get warm in the middle.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 PM

When my mom made them she used to take a big meat fork and put it in the core of the cabbage, submerge the whole head in boiling water. Every few minutes she would pull out the head and cut off a few, return the thing to the pot and repeat.
As much as I love them there are no fans in my house, and since my mom has passed away I make a simpler version that I call inside out stuffed cabbage. Saute the beef and onions. Add some rice, chopped cabbage, canned tomatoes and some sauce and simmer covered until everything is done.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:37 PM

That's pretty much the way I make mine but I add garlic salt because we like garlic. I've been thinking about making some and this makes me think it even more! And they are good left over. Good idea on freezing them. I think I'll try that. I had never even heard of cabbage rolls until I married my Slovak husband 46 years ago and I got the recipe from his mother and changed it a little by adding the garlic salt since she didn't like galic.

Originally Posted by Feather3
Originally Posted by johnniesgirl
Nope. Freeze them raw. I do NOT cook the filling either.

I use 5# ground chuck, cooked rice (about 3-4 cups cooked let cool before adding to meat), onions, a couple eggs & 1 can condensed tomato soup. Mix it all together. This is placed in the cabbage leaves, then frozen.

When I cook them I use a metal roasting pan. Pull them out of the freezer, let stand long enough to break apart. I lay them in the pan, stack if needed. I then use 3 cans of condensed tomato soup, with a half can of water for each can. Mix it up & pour it over the cabbage rolls. Cover pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2-2 hours, or until done. You check for doneness by sticking a fork in the thick part of the cabbage leaf stem. If they look like they're getting too brown, just baste them. If you have any leftovers they should be cut/sliced to reheat in microwave or they won't get warm in the middle.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:41 PM

when i was working got hungry for cabbage rolls so i shreed the cabbage and added meat rice onions and poured crushed tom and tom juice over it came out like rolls
Old 10-18-2010, 07:49 PM

The way that 'shequilts' described the method is about as good as it gets. My polish ancestors taught me the method and everyone keeps asking me for more. Cooking them in a slow cooker helps to keep them together as well.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:51 PM

Good idea, I'll have to try that. I do have a recipe for "Stuffed Cabbage Casserole". My daughter made it one time and the cabbage didn't get done and her new husband called it "Cabbage Surprise" and told her he didn't want it again. Since then he has eaten my cabbage rolls and likes them.

Originally Posted by paloma
when i was working got hungry for cabbage rolls so i shreed the cabbage and added meat rice onions and poured crushed tom and tom juice over it came out like rolls
Old 10-18-2010, 08:04 PM

I love this, my sister makes them for me when I go home to visit, they are sooooo good.

Cookie
Old 10-18-2010, 08:37 PM

I could never find ny large cabbage so started making in a pot . cooked the meat and onions then add my sauce and cut up cabbage cook till tender. serve over rice or mix the cooked rice into the mixture in the pan.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:15 PM

I found that making cabbage rolls too time consuming so have done it this way for years. Half and core cabbage slice thin, brown hamburger and onions, layer in a roasting pan, pour tomatoes or tomato sauce over and bake at 350* stirring several times, until cabbage is tender. My dh loves this.