Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you >

How many of you

How many of you

Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
I am self taught and most of it I have learner from this site.
I also am self taught and learn heaps on here... Thank you all for your classes lol. :D :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-19-2010, 12:05 AM

Me too.I sewed from my early teens. I was the oldest of 8 children, not alot of money and being the oldest I didn't even have the luxury(?) of hand me downs. I sewed for my self and then my sister.Then my children and grand chilren. I watched El Burns as long as I can remember but only got the nerve to try quilting a few years ago. She is my hero.I'm not as good as I'd like to be,but I get better with each one, or I should say I learn from each one.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by quilterjeri
Originally Posted by Riversong
Self taught,but started by watching Eleanor Burns on PBS years ago..
That's the way I started, too! Have taken some classes in the past 5 years, but started teaching about 4 years ago - mostly Stack-n-Whack, but also teach beginning quilting and other patterns!
I taught quilting classes for about 6 years and the shop closed, the owner retired. I do miss teaching. I taught beginner to intermediate classes, mostly quick pieced techinques.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:07 AM

I have taken many classes and some quilts can manage with learned skills, etc. Such a tutorials on this site and esp Mo. Star Quilt CO.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by GABBYABBY
I am like you. I am self taught and use the internet
and my imagination. This board is soooo helpful.
I feel like we are one big family helping each other.
You are so right about this board. I appreciate the helpful hints you give other quilters and the great pictures of your quilts and how you made them. The friendship on here is great---THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:04 AM

self taught.met a couple old old ladies in the 70's who pieced quilts and quilted for pin money.they were gorgeous quilts and i fell in love.started with 9 patch and worked my way up.try to make at least one quilt a year-sometimes 2 or 3.feeds my soul. have never taken classes.seems like a waste on money.most times i can figure it out myself and if not,will find someone to show me how.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I was a home ec major in college, then picked up quilting lo these many years later. I would like to find some classes to help hone my skills, as I feel like I'm floundering in the dark sometimes. This board is awesome and I've learned most of my quilting specifics on here. But sometimes you just need some hands on, in person 'here's what you should/shouldn't be doing'.
Hey mom'6. I was a home ec-er also. That was in the days when Home Economics was home economics. In the sewing area we did everything from hand stitching of baby garments to pattern drafting, to tailoring and everything in between. Although quilting wasn't present when I was in the program. Too bad! I may have started this passion way back then. But my interest in fabrics and sewing pretty things never wained. Although I did change direction and later became an elementary teacher, I was always a "home ec major" at heart. I guess you could say I have two hearts. Loved those first graders!

I've learned quilting from many sources. Georgia Bonesteel was the first quilter I saw on PBS and then many more were to follow. Then I had a few quilting friends who sparked the interest in me and made me feel that maybe I could do that too. And then I took a few classes and, of course, there is this board. BUT I still consider myself a seasoned beginner.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:14 AM

I am self taught...and sooooo addicted to the craft.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Banned

Self taught here as well
Old 10-19-2010, 04:40 AM

I am self taught. Love looking at this web site and have learned from some books.