Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST? >

Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST?

Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:25 AM

My paternal grandparents bought one for me for my high school graduation. A Lane cedar chest. My brother, at the time, worked for a local auction warehouse and helped with housewares to keep in it.

I still have it. Wish I knew how to refinish it. Tried once on another piece of furniture and ruined it so never attempted again.

Now I have it covered with a quilt (what else?) and set other quilty things on it. I store handmade bedding and blankets that have been gifted to me over the years in it now.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Banned

I got one when I graduated at age 17.....I loved it. Loaded it all up with things I wanted for when I got married....
Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 PM

I didn't have a box or chest, just collected. When I was in high school, I collected the silverware in the DUZ laundry detergent. Collected the whole set(and might I add, it was cheap!), but I thought it was neat. I made pillow cases and my aunts gave me cookbooks and pot holders.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:34 PM

I'M IN MY LATE 50'S
DOES STILL WAITING FOR A CHEST COUNT...LOL
Old 10-19-2010, 04:58 PM

My parents got me a Lane cedar hope chest when I was in junior or senior in high school. :)

My little (pun intended) sister, a very young teenager at the time, saw my hope chest, and informed my parents that she was "hoping for a chest" too! :lol: :wink:

My cedar chest is downstairs now, with a bunch of high school mementos in it.

Come to think of it, my actual chest seems to be heading downstairs too! :roll:
Old 10-19-2010, 05:04 PM

My dad used to refinish antique furniture and he redid an old cedar chest for me when I was a teenager. I started accumulating stuff I'd need when I moved out, and most of that came from my grandmother's kitchen when we cleaned out her apartment after she died (when I was 19.)

It did come in handy. I still have the chest - it's now a blanket box - and am still using most of Grandma's kitchenware.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:09 PM

My parents bought me a cedar chest. I call it my hopeless chest. I'm not really good at all the "girl" type things. My mother is horrified by all the odd things I keep in mine. I guess we have different views on essential items. I have taken to using it now to store some of the knicknacks (sp?) that we have been given over the years. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do with things like my great-aunt's salt and pepper shaker collection.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:37 AM

I had a hope chest. I started it when I was in high school and by the time I was married, I had everything, dishes, pots and pans, silver, wine glasses, linens, towels, you name it. My parents helped at Christmastime when I was asked "What do you want for Christmas?", it was something for my hope chest. Now that was back from around 1954 until I was married in 1960.

So, I decided around 10 years ago that I would make each one of the grandchildren a hope chest, which I did. They have towels, linens, quilt, all hand work including an apron (which I don't know if anyone wears them anymore, except for me!!!!!!), but it is there. I also made a quilt for the first great grandchild. Thinking into the future, my oldest grandchild is 18 and the youngest is 8. So not knowing for sure if I will be around for all the great grandchildren, I wanted them to remember me! My legacy to my grandchildren. Edie
Old 10-20-2010, 03:58 AM

I got one when I graduated from high school in the 60's and I made embroidered things to go in it. When I got engaged, I put a lot of things in it from my wedding shower. Now, 40 years later, I still have it, and store Christmas throws and pillows in it. It's a Lane chest and the cedar still smells.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:28 AM

Yes I had a wooden box, too. I bought a set of dishes at Kress ( five and dime store). I worked there for a while while in high school. I embodiered scarfs and pillow cases. Colleted salt and pepper shakers . When I married I passed my "hope chest" to my sister.