Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello Everyone >

Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone

Old 10-20-2010, 06:05 AM

Hi. I'm pretty new too. I took a sampler class at my local quilt shop. I learned so much and at the end I had a completed top. Now I am building the courage to machine quilt it myself. Have fun.
Anne Marie
Old 10-20-2010, 06:24 AM

I enjoy paper piecing because if you sew exactly on the lines, your blocks will come out right. You do have to think in reverse though, because you will be stitching from the paper side which just happens to be the back of the block, and whatever you stitch will be in reverse on the front side. Another thing you have to consider is all that paper will need to removed after you are done sewing. But you can do that part while watching tv. My suggestion is, if you want to give it a try, sew one of the blocks with a few pieces, and gradually advance to more pieces.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:39 AM

Welcome, paper piecing is very accurate. Its a place to start. There are loads of good books for beginners as well as information on the web. Welcome to the wonderful world of quilts and quilters.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:40 AM

Welcome--I've been quilting for only 2+ years. I went into a quilt shop with what I thought would be a good first project and the wonderful owner of the shop just shook her head and smiled. Then she pulled out a booklet named "Turning Twenty...Again" designed by Tricia Cribbs. Each block is made up of rectangles and squares and it really was a good design to start with--at least it was for me.

The blocks were somewhat forgiving because as a new quilter I didn't know about squaring up fabric, or squaring up the finished top--come to think about it--I didn't know a lot--only what I'd watched friends do.

I did take a class with PP and I would suggest, as others have, that PP be left for a later challenge.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 AM

Hello and welcome from Alabama. I would not recomend that you start paper piecing.
Start with 9 patch, snowball, pattern thats what my sister teaches her first time students. Well of course I failed misserbly, but I kept at it, sure beats watching re-runs.... and when you get past the free patterns, and all the ufo's that you make, your a quilter for sure. At first I wanted so badly to make a quilt. I sure did, but its whop sided and not actual size, it takes time and practice so dont give up. Pratice, Pratice.
I have notice most of the beginners using the u-tube viedos,(show u how to do something) but be carefull my puter picked up a virus there.

barbara
Old 10-20-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by sherrysue
I am thinking about learning to quilt. Is the paper peicing the way to go when first starting? Any suggestiions. I have never quilted anything before. Just looking for a new hobby, and new friends.
One of my first quilting projects was a sampler-type quilt, which introduced me to various block types, including paper piecing. While I really like the result, making an entire quilt that way would be quite tedious (to me).

I made the wall quilt "Over by the Pond" for my sister's birthday last year, and that was entirely paper piecing. I was sick of pp by the time it was finished, but it was a beautiful project.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:13 AM

sherrysue

There are so many places on the internet with many good videos. Find some on youtube or individual sites. They have so many helpful tutorials with step by step directions, and what you need to get started. Then there is this site which is the best ever that will help you with just about anything. Good luck on you quilting.

Suzy
Old 10-20-2010, 07:32 AM

I would suggest signing up for a class at one
of your local quilting stores. You could meet
new people and have the knowledge of the staff
teaching the class. I was lucky enough to
have my daughter giving me instructions on a
block by the month project. It was hard when I
first started but now I really enjoy my quilting.
Betty Lee
Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 AM

I myself don't like paper piecing ,although I have done it for blocks of the month,etc. I would start with regular piecing, since a lot of the patterns and basics you will learn by doing this.

I would start with simple blocks or with a sampler where you will learn a bit of almost everything. Good Luck and enjoy, CAUTION--it is habit forming.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:52 AM

hello from south Mississippi and I hate paper piecing, I love applique and piecing. Just my opinion....