Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would your stash make the floor cave in? >

Would your stash make the floor cave in?

Would your stash make the floor cave in?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:30 AM

I'm beginning to wonder if my stash is going to tip the rack of shelves I have over. May have my husband fasten it to the wall in the back just to be sure. It is just that there are so many beautiful fabrics out there and I go into the store with one thing in mind and come out with more ideas and fabric.

Just spent a week on Bailey's Island up your way, you live in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Next to Colorado it is my favorite state. Quilting is very popular in my husband's part of the world, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Stopped in shop run by a group of Amish women and I could have spent a week there.

Sorry for rambling on. Just saw the Lewiston, ME and had to write.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Well... funny you should ask...

Some 20 years ago I had my stash in a back bedroom in the apartment I rented. It was an old house - 1930's vintage - upper & lower flats. Plaster walls (not insulated), plaster ceilings. I and my stash were upstairs.

The ceiling of the bedroom directly below my sewing room developed some cracks, and the landlord tried to blame it on my stash.

Hmmm... I only had 100 half-bolts at the time, so...

Weighing it all out, and figuring that the furniture (shelves + sewing machine) that I had weighed about as much as a typical set of bedroom furniture, to say that the stash was the cause of the cracks would have been the same as saying that if four average-sized people were in that room, it would have been sufficient to cause the problem.

'Course... it's not likely that four persons would have STAYED in the back bedroom round-the-clock...

Oh, let's not even GO there!
I love this story!!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Calico Grammy
Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Well... funny you should ask...

Some 20 years ago I had my stash in a back bedroom in the apartment I rented. It was an old house - 1930's vintage - upper & lower flats. Plaster walls (not insulated), plaster ceilings. I and my stash were upstairs.

The ceiling of the bedroom directly below my sewing room developed some cracks, and the landlord tried to blame it on my stash.

Hmmm... I only had 100 half-bolts at the time, so...

Weighing it all out, and figuring that the furniture (shelves + sewing machine) that I had weighed about as much as a typical set of bedroom furniture, to say that the stash was the cause of the cracks would have been the same as saying that if four average-sized people were in that room, it would have been sufficient to cause the problem.

'Course... it's not likely that four persons would have STAYED in the back bedroom round-the-clock...

Oh, let's not even GO there!
I love this story!!! Thanks for sharing!
We have a bi-level and my craft room is in the lower level, guess I should be glad of that. Four people in the back bedroom around the clock? There has to be a story in there somewhere.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

:oops: :mrgreen:
Old 10-20-2010, 01:00 PM

House is on a concrete slab, one floor, can't imagine a building that the floor joists wouldn't support the weight unless it was eaten up with termites.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:21 PM

We don't have and upstairs or basement so I don't have to worry about my stash being too heavy!!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:24 PM

No, but if I had enough money.............
Old 10-20-2010, 02:51 PM

I also LOVE Marden's. Feel bad for anyone that doesn't have one to visit. If you come to Maine make sure you look for one. BUT beware because your stash will surely grow. I have my fabric in a bout every room.
Originally Posted by Carol W
Originally Posted by DeniseP
I was recently at a discount store in my area called Marden's. Most fabric is about $2.99/yard and they have great stuff. The manager of the fabric department is a friend of mine (as most fabric dept. workers know me by name!) and was telling me about a woman who shops there frequently. VERY frequently. Her sewing room was in an upstairs bedroom above her living room. One day she came home and her sewing room was IN her living room. The floor could not support the weight of all the fabric she had and it caved in!

Would your stash cave your floor in? I keep mine divided in enough places so that it won't!
I love Marden's!!! Great fabric. Great selection. I purchase a lot of fabric there.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 PM

All my stuff is on the 2nd floor; luckily it's in a newer section & an older one of an old log house. Don't think I have enough to collapse either area yet. I do keep buying more.

I also have 7 Featherweights & another 2 older machines plus my newer one. Getting concerned I havetoo much of everything.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:10 PM

Just a good thing she was not in the room below, when it happen.
My stash is big but not that big