Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I do? >

What should I do?

What should I do?

Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 PM

It would be cool to make an autograph/prayer quilt top that those involved in her care could sign for her and back it in fleece or flannel to be a cozy wrap for her.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:00 PM

McCall's Pattern #M5970 is for a great Snuggy with arms that I made for my daughter and her little girl. I used non-pill fleece. It's easy. to sew, is unlined and has an optional pocket on the inside of the front for you to slip your feet in for extra warmth. You don't need any binding and no extra notions. Yoy might want to put a button on the back so it doesn't fall off the shoulders with movement. I think she would like it. They are so warm and cozy and the fabric is so much nicer than what comes in the kits you can get. When Joann's has patterns on sale, you can get it for $2. The fleece is usually always on sale for 40% & 50% off. Good Luck!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by quilt_happy
I just found out my piano teacher has cancer and so I want to make her something quick. Do you have any ideas that would come in handy during her chemo?
Thanks in advance.
Having just gone through this myself, I can say hats are most useful as you lose your hair by the 3rd treatment. In most chemo areas they supply a thin fleece blanket, but chemo strips your immunity so perhaps a personal one would be appreciated as the rooms always seem to be freezing.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:08 AM

If you google Quillow, you will find a free pattern. Very easy to make. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:18 AM

Annaquilts is referring to quillows. There are really easy and easy to carry. Usually the pocket is 1/3 the wideth of the width of the quilt, however I made a quillow with fannel on the back and it was really hard to fold the quillow up and get it in the pocket. I would make the pocket after the quilt was done and folder so that the pocket is big enough to easily put the quilt in.
Bless you for caring enough to do this.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by quilt_happy
I just found out my piano teacher has cancer and so I want to make her something quick. Do you have any ideas that would come in handy during her chemo?
Thanks in advance.
Since you know her, you are ideally suited to design her first "Chemo cap" to keep her warmer. A matching 'snuggie' blanket would be nice.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:09 PM

This is the site for a list of other sites for quillow directions.
http://www.crazycreekquilts.com/free...-patterns.html
Old 10-21-2010, 06:25 PM

LOVE your idea with sleeves....
Originally Posted by Feather3
I went thru chemo last year. I wasn't cold during treatments, but sure was after. Each type of chemo causes different side effects. Some are cold during treatment, some after. After each treatment I would freeze to the point my whole body would shake. Thankfully I had a nice fleece snuglet. I had made myself one with the arms. Fleece is nice & soft, very cuddly & not too heavy. I made mine nice & long so I could wrap my feet in it as well. I could stay wrapped up, but yet reach for things without uncovering. It was great. If you make one I'd get non-pill fleece. This is a pdf instruction for making one:
http://www.sissonfamily.com/Sewingro...thesnuglet.pdf
Old 10-21-2010, 06:33 PM

Would LOVE to get the pattern for this...please.

Originally Posted by Qwiltylady
When my sister went through chemo I made her an entire wardrobe of Fleece hats. They keep the head warm and cover the loss of hair very nicely and there are many free patterns on the internet. They only take a few minutes and she loved the fact that she could match whatever he was wearing with a different hat! When she passed away her local Hospice asked her husband if he would donate all her pretty hats to them for other cancer patients. He did and I still make them for our local cancer patient care center.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:50 PM

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they did have fabric, with musical notes on it. Thank would be a great quilt theme. Perhaps a rag quilt, flannel or fleece on one side and the piano fabric on the other, would be very quick. Or just do the music fab. and another color. Make a large block and make pinwheels of the music fab and attatch. There was a neat tutorial on the board a few weeks back and I've seen several pinwheels that others have made from that tute. or at least they look like it. Prayers go out to your teacher and friend.
I go on 11-18 for my six month checkup to check if I am still clear of Thyroid cancer, I have no worry about it. I was in May, but then I know who is responsible for this, I turned it all over to God when I first found out I needed to have my Thyroid removed, summer of 2009. He has taken care of everything!!!!!