Quilt Challenge!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:23 AM

This is a great idea. I'm convinced that my scraps are multiplying in the closet when I'm not watching because there seem to be more and more.

Chele is right! I almost gave away several big bags of scraps and ended up keeping it because I was afraid I'd regret it.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 AM

This sounds like a wonderful idea. Count me in....I will try to read all the other posts....and then start with a box of old scraps I have.

Yipee! Sounds like my kinda fun!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 PM

A thought for everyone who wants to use up scraps: I've done a couple of scrappy bindings recently, and they are more work, but I really like the way they look. You just cut two and a half inch strips of fabric from scraps and sew them together like you would WOF binding strips. I find anything less than 7" long not worth my time, but if you don't mind all the seaming, you can make the strips as short as you want to.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
I volunteer to be the judge!

Send all scrap quilts to me next Christmas and I will tell you who's is best.

Some exclusions may occur. Your mileage may vary. Do not do this at home. All quilting as shown is done by professionals, do not attempt to do this without advanced training. My favorite color is blue. Taxes are collected in the state of California. Quilts are not returnable. Winners will be notified when I stop running from a gang of angry quilters.

Cute Tim, real cute! Love the favorite color bit!

Seriously tho, I just finished a very colorful queen sized quilt top made entirely out of my stash. After the holidays, when all the Christmas projects are finished and given, I'm going to make MY quilt, then will work on emptying that pesky scrap bin! I'm thinking of doing just simple 2" square postage stamp quilts, perhaps sewing the little bits at the ends of my other seams so it's truly random and it gets done without my trying. I heard about this method and thought it was neat, just haven't cut up the pieces to start it yet.

tim in san jose
Old 10-23-2010, 03:38 PM

Boy do I have scraps! Can't bear to toss them...Will try to get on with this in amongst all the other stuff...Thanks for "cookin'" up this one...
Old 10-23-2010, 07:13 PM

I have lost count, but think I have about 45 tops in my storage room---that doesn't count the 40 or so I gave away. these have been made mostly from the over 8000 pieces of poly knit I got at an estate sale, with the addition of strips from poly yardage purchased at the same sale. Think I got the pieces and about 60 yards of poly for $25-------. Most have gone to Project Linus, but there is also My Brother's Keeper--and some went to local charity workers who knew people in dire need of warmth.....
I am making a king size top from grabnsew strips. so far, everyone who has seen it is amazed how pretty it is. and I am doing a scrappy 9-patch from vintage "family" scraps . I also made a twin quilt and a lap quilt top from flannel shirt scraps last week. Do they count??????
Next on the agenda are 6 table runners, and three tree skirts for Xmas presents, a strip quilt for my daughter-in-law, and two baby quilts---all from the stash, and all in progress---YES, I really AM nuts enough to work on about 20 projects at once--that way it is NEVER boring!
Make a quilt for someone in need--it feels great! We are tying quilts once a week for the next ten weeks at my church...can do 2-3 per session--then "ALL" I have to do is bind them. I make the poly quilts with blankets instead of batting--they will last nearly forever that way. Use either poly of sheets for backs--can get blankets for about $2 at yard sales, sheets the same, and many are like new and very pretty--even new sheets on sale are much cheaper than quilt backing...this is my "mission" project! Not perfect, but in this case, I can make lots to give away...
Old 10-24-2010, 04:27 PM

I'm in as long as its next Christmas ! Been thinking about doing something just didn't know what... glad I joined this chat and now will participate. Awaiting any other information.. just pictures to the judge with a batch of cookies I suppose would do the trick.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:08 PM

Count me in too! I have boxes of scraps and a tall trash can sitting next to my cutting table that I have been dropping scraps in.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:28 PM

I'm just back to quiltingafter a 12 yr hiatias due circumstances and serious illness... but what the heck ! I.ll do it Safra (saraaev)
Old 10-30-2010, 07:17 AM

I am new to the board but not new to scrap quilts. Scrap quilting can make some of the most beautiful quilts around. I have been trying to make the most of my scraps and one of the most helpful hints I can give anyone is to save, save, save. I do not know how many quilts I have made from scraps. I have very few large pieces of fabric in my sewing room - most are fat quarters or under (yes I do have some bolts but those are mainly background fabrics). With the economy the way it is all of our scraps will come in handy in years to come. Fabric prices are going through the roof - we in the states are lucky - yes lucky to pay the prices we do when I hear how high the prices are for fabric in Europe, Canada, Australia and many other places - I can not believe how high the prices are - we are talking $20 a yard or more!!
Try to organize your scraps in some matter so that you will use them. Keep them where you won't be able to forget them!
For the past year and continuing into next year I intend to make scrap quilts and only will be purchasing backing and backgrounds. I would piece backings but I hand quilt and do not want the extra seams to go through.