Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
advice for christmas gift >

advice for christmas gift

advice for christmas gift

Old 10-20-2010, 07:40 PM

Wildyard, is your granddaughter really wanting a machine? If so, get it and teach her when you can be with her. There are a lot of fabric shops and some Hancock's that have sewing classes for kids.My daughter is going to teach a class for kids at her church.Also, Fons and Porters rotary cutters are very safe. The blades will only cut when pressed down. This is going to be such a great memory for her.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:48 PM

My 11 yr old granddaughter is just starting with quilting - she loves to attend my guild meetings! We have found some really nice items for her at the guild mercantile table. Check garage sales for fabrics and small items. Also the Dollar Store (I believe someone already mentioned this). Ask your quilting friends if they have items they no longer use which might be appropriate. I found a couple of really nice small quilt kits for her which taught her to read and follow instructions, measure twice, cut once, use a rotary cutter and scissors and MOST IMPORTANT - be patient with the process. Have fun with it!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:13 AM

I would make sure she had the basics for the machine and then give her a sensible amount to spend in a shop. However, make sure you go with her for assistance at the time. I started sewing on grandma's treadle at 7 and was given a machine a short time later where I had to wind the wheel by hand as I sewed. Somehow I managed. People thought that I would be sewing dolls clothes or such - like. I wasn't interested in dolls, and made clothing, furnishings and bags, so she may surprise you with her preferences as well.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:37 AM

maybe you can put together a basic kit of blocks where all the pieces are already cut and all she has to do is sew? You could write up easy-to-understand directions. Would be a great learning experience for her.

My elderly neighbor (87) is relatively housebound and has asked on a couple of times if I need any help. :-D So, now that I am back into my quilting, I am putting a pre-cut kit together for her of aunt grace.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Is a Simplicity #30516 First Fashions LockStitcher considered a "real" sewing machine? I'd like to get one for my granddaughter, but her parents aren't thrilled with the idea of having to help her use it as neither of them sew. I only see her a couple of weeks a year as we live several states apart. She is 7. I don't know if she could manage this machine with just a few lessons from me or if it's really just inappropriate anyway.
Any thoughts you'd like to share out there?
Consider this, until a child is about 10 or 11, they probably don't have the mechanical skills (dexterity) to sew effectively, and for long and involved instructions they also do not have the attention span. Teaching her all the hand skill on the other hand including some embroidery skills will prepare her for the day when she will be able to control a real machine. The acid test on a machine for me is the rate at which the controller starts. So many of them jump start (because the motors really don't have enough power to go at a lower speed) which in turn causes unwanted things to happen with the sewing seam. So many of the cheaper white plastic machines just don't have what it takes to be a good investment. I would wait a while and then buy a better machine, or an older one in good running condition which in the long run are simpler to use.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:40 AM

My Grandaughter has no interest in sewing. However, she just loves my easy chair pin cushion. I found it years ago at Joanne's. I am going to see if I can find another one for her. Have no idea what she will do with it. It does have a lift up seat, thought maybe she could store some jewelry in it. Obviously a crazy gift. Just one of those whimsy things.
Great idea to get your Grandaughter started. Be sure to include a variety of small scraps to practice on.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:22 AM

The ideas you have for the kit is great. For a machine you
might look at the Janome Sew Mini. I have used one for
a couple of years to take to classes. Weighs only 5 pounds
was under $40.00 and sews like a charm. Only straight stick
and zig zag but that is all she will need to start.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:27 AM

I would buy a larger and sturdy sewing box and put simple needs into it. Just basic needles, safe scissors ,thread , snaps etc. I would make sure the sewing box is a good one because no matter what, that sewing box will go with her forever and be a happy memory. Maybe you could add a simple pattern for some doll clothers and enough fabric to make it.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:30 AM

2 yrs ago my daughter was 8. For Christmas she got a sewing machine that we got second hand. I included a small pair of scissors, seam ripper, pins and a tape measure. I also included a pattern to make a lap quilt (yellow brick road, but turning twenty would also be good) with the fat quarters needed to do the top. She entered it into 2 county fairs and one quilt show. She won first place in the 2 fairs. Hope this helps. :)
Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Scissors, tape measure, some rulers, pins, pin cushion , needles, threader, thimbles

Not sure at that age that I would give her a rotary cutter , she might try to use it without supervision :shock:
__________________________________________________ _____
This is a good suggestion, but I would add a note with each piece of equipment, explaining why you chose it over others available. Ex; 1. These are steel pins because they are less likely to rust, and ruin your fabric.
2. This is a retractable measuring tape, so it will not tangle in your sewing box. etc. etc.

Good of you to spread the addiction to the next generation. {HUGS} :thumbup: