Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello Everyone >

Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone

Old 10-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Welcome from southern New York. I found that taking a class at the local quilt store gave me a good foundation. Try it.
Good luck
Old 10-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Dee

Welcome from SoEastern Pa. You'll love this board.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by sherrysue
I am thinking about learning to quilt. Is the paper peicing the way to go when first starting? Any suggestiions. I have never quilted anything before. Just looking for a new hobby, and new friends.
I started with paper piecing and thought that was all I'd ever do, and low and behold, it has now been 5 years since I made another that way. I loved starting that way because my points were pretty much right one, a far cry better than if I had tried it the conventional way.

I did realize that quilting was no more difficult than baking cookies. If you can follow a recipe, you definitely will have no problenm with the construction part of this wonderful art.

Purchasing fabric...well, that's another sotry.

;) ;)
Old 10-21-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by sherrysue
I am thinking about learning to quilt. Is the paper peicing the way to go when first starting? Any suggestiions. I have never quilted anything before. Just looking for a new hobby, and new friends.
There are a number of books out now with very simple quilts but beautiful. Most are fairly large pieces, such as 4 patch and rectangles and large squares. Use of colors is what makes these sparkle. But starting with something like that will teach you cutting, perfecting our 1/4 " seams, etc. All things you need to know to progress into other quilts that are progressively more complicated. I would suggest starting with a lap robe or a twin size first so your not overwhelmed.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:36 PM

My first quilt was a sampler quilt. I learned a lot of techniques by making a different block. My quilt teacher was so good. She taught us how to cut and how to piece. It was so much fun I have done this for 24 years.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:10 AM

Welcome from Southern Arkansas. I have never paperpieced so I can't answer your question. I would just suggest you get a pretty simple pattern and start there. Something like Jacob's ladder or a nine patch or some of the ones that use half squares. There are so many beautiful yet simple paterns to choose from!!! Look at some tutorials or find a quilting buddy. You can P.M. me if you'd like to be adopted. I'll try to help you all I can. I do mostly hand piecing and hand quilting although I do some on the machine too. Anyway, would be all to glad to try and help you get started. Good luck
Old 10-22-2010, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by basketcru
I started with a class using Eleanor Burns log cabin...it was so much fun and fast and easy way to learn. AND I had a finished top when the class ended.
And you can meet new quilting friends that will be happy to help you with questions!

No better way to go.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:04 AM

Seems like about 50% of quilters love paper piecing and the other half hate it. So you won't know until you try. I'd recommend learning to quilt the regular way, starting with a simple block or two. Find an easy pattern (all squares, like a 9-patch)learn to accurately cut with a rotary cutter, master your 1/4" seams, press accurately without stretching or distorting your seams -- and then, when you've earned some confidence, you can try paper piecing. I've done both but vastly prefer quilting the old fashioned way!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 AM

Hello from northern NY. I agree with Gale, I would start with a simple patch work quilt. Unless your crazy like me and start with a quilt pattern that most people wouldn't even bother with because of all the piecing.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:55 AM

Hi and welcome from ND. I am for going to a beginning quilting class and you will learn many things that will help you become a fantastic quilter that will have fun at what they are doing. Try everything that strikes your interest and you will find the type of project that you like.