Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you have done? >

What would you have done?

What would you have done?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 PM

Oh my gosh, I understand how you might feel obligated. Still, a queen-sized quilt is a serious undertaking. I'm afraid I'd communicate how loooooong such a project will take, and how expensive it will be. I suspect that, like my friend's husband, they'll forget about it when the onus is on them to come up with the materials and pay for the quilting. Just because they got you the machine doesn't mean they own you. There is no indentured servitude in this country.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by desertrose
Since you are committed and don't feel you can back out of the project perhaps there is a way to help you feel less trapped in this project of doom. What if you completed the project as soon as you have the time but delay sending it back to her until spring. By doing to sooner you remove that feeling of I don't want to do this project I hate. You could turn it into a major learning experience on several levels. Do what feels right to you and the doom will disappear.

Good Luck!
Andie :)
That's a good idea. We like the town they live in and have avoided telling them we're there until we're getting ready to leave. That way we can enjoy the place, but limit the company. This is kind of a different take on the same idea. The first time we visited her (in our RV) we made the mistake of staying longer than we had planned to. We saw them every day, and her husband just about drove us batty with his inane comments and his selfishness.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:10 PM

what I did when faced this situation. I said "Sure, just cut it out very carefully, pin the pieces together, come over and iron every seam as I finish a piece and learn how to unstitch it if I sew something wrong."
Elizabeth
Old 10-21-2010, 05:22 PM

So she has bad eyesight? There are stronger glasses available, there are large magnifying glasses that can hang around your neck so that you can sew with them.

If she can't see, why does she not get rid of her sewing machine? Or doesn't she have kids or family who might want it?

Quilting is an art, and when you don't want to sew something, then it rapidly turns into work. And work should be paid for.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:09 PM

I think I would just tell her that I've changed my mind and won't be doing it for her. If she asks why tell her there are just too many people that expect you to quilt for them and you don't have the time to quilt for yourself or your family anymore. If she offers to pay you, tell her thanks but it still doesn't free up time for yourself.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by raksmum
I think I would just tell her that I've changed my mind and won't be doing it for her. If she asks why tell her there are just too many people that expect you to quilt for them and you don't have the time to quilt for yourself or your family anymore. If she offers to pay you, tell her thanks but it still doesn't free up time for yourself.
Good idea.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
So she has bad eyesight? There are stronger glasses available, there are large magnifying glasses that can hang around your neck so that you can sew with them.

If she can't see, why does she not get rid of her sewing machine? Or doesn't she have kids or family who might want it?

Quilting is an art, and when you don't want to sew something, then it rapidly turns into work. And work should be paid for.
I wondered about this too. She sees well enough to read a newspaper or a dictionary. It seems she could make accommodations so that she could sew if she really wanted to. I have arthritis I need to accommodate, and I'll sew in spite of the pain just because I love it so much.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 PM

If you have arthritis I would be adding that to the list as another reason you can't quilt for others anymore.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:20 AM

If you have arthritis I would be adding that to the list as another reason you can't quilt for others anymore.
Well, now that is a good idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it. It's as good as her excuse that her eyes are bad.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
Well, now that is a good idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it. It's as good as her excuse that her eyes are bad.
You're right :thumbup: