Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What did I do wrong??? >

What did I do wrong???

What did I do wrong???

Old 10-21-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
These are beautiful quilts!

In terms of a wow factor, think about using additional colors. Blue is calming in practically all of its incarnations, and especially in florals, so using all blues and whites pretty much guarantees a calm quilt. I always offset blue fabrics with pink fabrics to add a little dynamic "tension". You might look to add pink florals to your stash, and also fabrics that have both pink and blue flowers (so you have some transition fabrics to work with).

It seems to me that many of your florals are of large flowers in one color. Try adding in some smaller sized florals, and also some non-floral fabrics for variations in texture. For example, even if you wanted to stick with all blues, some ocean blues and sky blues would add a lot of textural variation.

Or, consult with my sister. She consistently comes up with Wow! quilts using fabrics I would never have considered purchasing, much less combining into a quilt. I still haven't figured out how she does it.......
I agree, the only thing I would change would put in more soft pastels. I love the watercolor quilts!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Dee

They are both pretty.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:34 AM

I like it..........
Old 10-22-2010, 08:47 AM

I think you are being too hard on yourself!
My favorite is the second one, though.
I think your issue may be with florals that have large spaces between the flowers. I think this is a common problem for quilters.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
These are beautiful quilts!

In terms of a wow factor, think about using additional colors. Blue is calming in practically all of its incarnations, and especially in florals, so using all blues and whites pretty much guarantees a calm quilt. I always offset blue fabrics with pink fabrics to add a little dynamic "tension". You might look to add pink florals to your stash, and also fabrics that have both pink and blue flowers (so you have some transition fabrics to work with).

It seems to me that many of your florals are of large flowers in one color. Try adding in some smaller sized florals, and also some non-floral fabrics for variations in texture. For example, even if you wanted to stick with all blues, some ocean blues and sky blues would add a lot of textural variation.

Or, consult with my sister. She consistently comes up with Wow! quilts using fabrics I would never have considered purchasing, much less combining into a quilt. I still haven't figured out how she does it.......
Yes, I agree with this. I saw one at a quilt show this past weekend that had many colors on it. Let me see if I can find the pic - maybe this is the effect you were looking for???

Please excuse the big toothless grin in front of it!!!! : ) This was the first of many that she "tried" to get into, at the time just being goofy and not realizing that it was totally okay w/ me for her to be in them!!!

Your quilts are gorgeous, by the way. But if it's drama you're looking for, try more colors and some smaller florals!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-92349.jpe
Views:	38
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	92354  
Old 10-22-2010, 09:56 AM

I think more fabrics, a gradation of blue, more transion from light to dark? Maybe?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dollysquiltingmom
I made this trip around the world quilt top but it did not turn out as the great quilt top it should have. I made a second one thinking that by seperating the florals thinking that would fix it. But they did not turn out with a wow factor as this fabric should have been. Any info on working with florals would be greatful.
really good ,don't be too critical of yourself.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:34 PM

They certainly do deserve a "WOW." They are beautiful!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:46 PM

Definately fantastic quilts both of them. Lots to be proud of!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dollysquiltingmom
I made this trip around the world quilt top but it did not turn out as the great quilt top it should have. I made a second one thinking that by seperating the florals thinking that would fix it. But they did not turn out with a wow factor as this fabric should have been. Any info on working with florals would be greatful.
Maybe use a yellow instead of a pale blue. I think it would have made that darker floral pop.

Though I think it looks good.