Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much yardage do you buy when..... >

How much yardage do you buy when.....

How much yardage do you buy when.....

Old 10-24-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by peppermint31
Originally Posted by BettyGee
Originally Posted by Aully
I always buy minimum of 3, if I really love it I buy 5. :)
Me too, at least 3 yards and I just recently found a pattern I fell in love with, it was on sale and I bought 8 yards! When it was delivered I knew I had done the right thing as I can already see what I'm going to do with it. Companion fabrics usually 1 to 2 yards, but it depends how large the piece is going to be. My problem is that when I see a fabric I love it is hard to be logical. The ultimate determining factor is how much I have in my quilt budget and at the rate I've been going there isn't much left.
that is exactly why I got 3.5 yards. There was 8 left on the bolt but it was$10 per yard & I just couldn't spend that much :cry: I did go for 3.5 instead of 3 but that was my absolute limit
The 8 yards was $5.00 a yard, which was just too good to turn down. I found a print yesterday at Primitive Gatherings that was absolutely gorgeous, but at $9.95 per yard and with no project in mind, sanity thank goodness, won out. Take a look at Favorite Fabrics, they have the most beautiful fabrics and a selection that seems to go on forever. Also their prices are very reasonable, personnel are terrific and they ship promptly and their shipping rates are quite reasonable.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:57 PM

I used to go to AA with a friend and OA (Overeaters An.) so I at least know the 12 Steps. But I haven't even tried to apply the steps to my fabric addiction. HaHa Fabric is so much more fun then food or alcohol plus it lasts forever not just a day or night.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:07 PM

I always buy 2 yards at a time of a new fabric. That way no matter what I decide to use it for there's plenty of fabric. I've never seen the sense in buying fat quarters...expensive and not much to work with! :D
Old 10-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

I buy a yard if I like it. Two if I love it.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:29 PM

Depends on the price. If I find a really good sale at the LQS, I've been known to come home with 6 yards, especially if I think it will make background for an applique quilt. Usually buy at least a half yard if I like the fabric.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:39 PM

I usually buy 3 yds. but if the bolt is low and the fabric is inexpensive and I know it is something I could use as a backing where I would need more, I buy what's left on the bolt. And I ask for the empty bolt so I can put it back on for storing.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:56 PM

I buy 3 to 5 yards, usually 4 unless my quilting buddy, the other Mary, is with me. Mary and I were co-workers and I am teaching her to quilt. We love to go on "road trips" and she is soooo bad for my checkbook!!!! I end up buying way more than I should.........
Old 10-24-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by bizybess
I buy at least three yards so that if I decide to use for a border there will be enough for that and some for the body of the quilt. But take my advise, if you want length of fabric borders cut them first and then use what's left in your quilt.
I agree with you and always make sure to cut out your borders and focus fabrics first and use what's left. This way you won't be kicking yourself at the end when your missing 2" and can't find the fabric any more.

Happy buying & quilting
Andie :D :D :D
Old 10-24-2010, 02:08 PM

Depends on how much it costs. If it's less than $5, I will probably buy at least a yard. If it is regular quilt-shop price, I will probably buy half a yard or a fat quarter, if I just love it but don't have any particular project in mind. I like scrappy, so it will be used, and I don't have a huge investment.

I sort of "collect" fabrics. I would like to buy more, but realistically, I am not going to be able to make a whole big quilt out of every fabric I love, and I have limited budget and storage space. I love charm packs for this reason.

Part of the reason I like scrappy quilts is because I can use and "display" a lot of different fabrics that I like, all at the same time.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:00 PM

I usually buy at least 2 yards but if could be borders buy 3 if on sale may buy rest of the bolt. especially if it is a blender, batik or fusions.