Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where is your workspace? >

Where is your workspace?

Where is your workspace?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:19 AM

I'm working in my dining room right now too. My new sewing space upstairs is being remodeled/converted (new ceiling, lots of new lighting, paper, paint) from a bedroom with a separate walk in closet and a sloped ceiling attic storage room. The plan is to have all of my storage, and stash that's bursting at the seams, in the closet and storage area, while the main room 14 X 16 is for my work tables and machines. While all this has been goiong on it's been hard to find anything I need and when I get around to organizing its going to feel like Christmas to discover everything that's been in bins, etc.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:21 AM

Sounds like you'll have a wonderful quilting room.Worth the aggravation for sure.

Originally Posted by lindagor
I'm working in my dining room right now too. My new sewing space upstairs is being remodeled/converted (new ceiling, lots of new lighting, paper, paint) from a bedroom with a separate walk in closet and a sloped ceiling attic storage room. The plan is to have all of my storage, and stash that's bursting at the seams, in the closet and storage area, while the main room 14 X 16 is for my work tables and machines. While all this has been goiong on it's been hard to find anything I need and when I get around to organizing its going to feel like Christmas to discover everything that's been in bins, etc.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:31 AM

Hi,I'm new to this board and am thoroughly enjoying my time on it. Have already gotten quite a few ideas and I thank you for them.

I am delma, been quilting on and off since I was 7, now its my passion. I belong to a quilting group of 7 women who meet each Tues afternoon, once a month, usually the last Tues of the month, we do charity quilts for various places.

My quilting area is a room my DH had built on the outside of my large bedroom, needless to say it is totally full and I'm still adding to the stash. I still work full time while we raise a grandson who is now 16 and full of himself.

Hope to retire in June 2012 which is his HS graduation date.

Need to get to work now and earn my keep, sending blessings and small pockets of joy.

delma
Old 10-26-2010, 03:32 AM

I use my kitchen table.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:38 AM

Welcome,Delma.......sounds like you have a nice quilting space.LOL@ Grson being full of himself. At that age, aren't they all ? :-)

Originally Posted by delma_paulk
Hi,I'm new to this board and am thoroughly enjoying my time on it. Have already gotten quite a few ideas and I thank you for them.

I am delma, been quilting on and off since I was 7, now its my passion. I belong to a quilting group of 7 women who meet each Tues afternoon, once a month, usually the last Tues of the month, we do charity quilts for various places.

My quilting area is a room my DH had built on the outside of my large bedroom, needless to say it is totally full and I'm still adding to the stash. I still work full time while we raise a grandson who is now 16 and full of himself.

Hope to retire in June 2012 which is his HS graduation date.

Need to get to work now and earn my keep, sending blessings and small pockets of joy.

delma
Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 AM

I am new to quilting, only made one so far! Two weeks ago we moved into our new town home, which has a loft. Bet you can't guess were my crafting area is!! I don't have it all set up yet, but when I get it finished I will post pictures! I can't wait to get all this unpacking finished so I can start on another quilt!!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 AM

I sew in the frontroom, the kitchen, ect anywhere but the bathroom so far. I even have been taking the machine to a few friends houses as they have room in there places and I have bodys in mine. Long story about that one. Anyway my landlord is convertting the garage out side to a sewing room for me if I can keep people out of there long enough for her to finish it. Till then I sew whereever the machine ends up.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:43 AM

I have had my sewing space in
1- a spare bedroom
Don't have any spares anymore since my mom and oldest
daughter moved in.
2- a space in the basement
That was dark dreary and depressing and away from
the center of the home
3- I am now in a small office off the dining room. This is my favorite, except it is too small. I used to work from home before I retired so it is still set up like an office with sewing stuff crammed in. My dream is to gut it, and make it into a nice sewing studio. It is usually in disarray, because I am not neat when I work. Then it gets to the point that I can't work in all the clutter so I clean and organize, and within a few days it is a mess again.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:44 AM

I used to have all my sewing in the dining room when my boys were home. We have a cape cod and the bedrooms were all being used. I have an L shaped office table that I use for my machines. This table covered 1/2 of my sliding glass door and I had fabric stacked under it in storage bins. When we took family pictures you could see all the clutter in the background. Some times the clutter wasn't so bad.

My younger son's bedroom was upstairs and when he married at 19 while he and his wife were on their honeymoon my husband and I did a clean out (he already had his stuff moved). We took out the carpet, painted the walls--which now have flowers on them, put in floating floor and moved all my sewing things in! My dining room emptied out in a hurry! I was so used to all the stuff there I couldn't believe how big the room really was!

So now I have a lot of space with a very nice closet for all my sewing table, cutting table, iron board and stash. I love it!

Originally Posted by nance-ell
I am currently working from my dining room (which is the first room you see when you come through my front door). I'm not crazy about the clutter and will have to clean it all up before the holidays, but the dining room table is a great workspace. I would love a more dedicated space, so I may end up moving it all upstairs to the office.

Where does everyone else work?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:45 AM

mione is a corner in my bedroom - I do have a huge bathroom and the ironing board is on one side. It works