Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing dilemma (after quilt finished) >

Washing dilemma (after quilt finished)

Washing dilemma (after quilt finished)

Old 10-26-2010, 05:35 PM

i have used a mixture of clorox color safe powdered bleach mixed (dissolved) with powered dishwasher soap (like cascade) i don't remember the proportions - maybe 1/2 and 1/2? dissolve powders together and put in washer full of water. let item soak - agitate - spin out and rinse. it always removed stains from my kids baby clothes. have not tried for quilting but what do you have to lose? so sorry it happened. have had colors run after prewashing also - she will still love the quilt tho!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Spring
My son has to wear white dress shirts to school and he LOVES to play football after school before he changes out of his uniform....I usually find his bloody grass stained shirts rolled up in a ball under his bed, dresser, back seat of my car..point is-I always find them days latter. After trying everything on the market I have found the best stain remover is baking soda, vinegar, and water. I fill a bucket up with my first grade science project and soak his clothes overnight. I also have had lots of success with oxiclean on bleeding fabric. Grandma's spot remover is pretty awesome too.

Blood is a protein and as such can be raised from fabric when treated with Hydrogen Peroxide. Nurses have used this trick for years to remove blood from out white uniforms and now scrubs. It even works on dried blood that's days old. My friends have used this trick to remove blood from a bed quilt when her beloved dog went into heat and bled all over her favorite quilt. Give it a try...good luck.

Andie
I hope that you find something to help.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 PM

why do you wash your quilts after making them
Old 10-26-2010, 05:50 PM

SERIOUSLY? There is nothing IN the Color Catchers that really attracts the "loose" color to it and traps it? How does the terrycloth work??
Kate
Old 10-26-2010, 06:05 PM

sorry what happened to you that is why i always wash my fabric maybe try some shout or stain remover on it but im not really sure what to tell you except next time wash the material first
Old 10-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
i have used a mixture of clorox color safe powdered bleach mixed (dissolved) with powered dishwasher soap (like cascade) i don't remember the proportions - maybe 1/2 and 1/2? dissolve powders together and put in washer full of water. let item soak - agitate - spin out and rinse. it always removed stains from my kids baby clothes. have not tried for quilting but what do you have to lose? so sorry it happened. have had colors run after prewashing also - she will still love the quilt tho!
I think most color safe bleaches say on the container not to mix with chlorine bleach, and that dishwasher soaps often have chlorine bleach in them, at least they smell like it. Be sure to read the labels so you don't release some dangerous gases into your environment or damage your cloth.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:59 PM

I think if you rinse it with salt (regular table salt) that helps to set the dyes then rinse until clear.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:01 PM

Kiwi Quilter, often when someone receives a quilt they are reluctant to use it because it's "too nice". Your mom will love your gift (I know I would), and because it's slightly imperfect, I bet she will use it until it's loved to death.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
Kiwi Quilter, often when someone receives a quilt they are reluctant to use it because it's "too nice". Your mom will love your gift (I know I would), and because it's slightly imperfect, I bet she will use it until it's loved to death.
I agree!. So sorry this has happened to your quilt. I noted your hand quilting and it is wonderful...you are very talented. God Bless
Old 10-27-2010, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiQuilter
Not sure what the moral of the story is...
"Don't let people push you around."