Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where is your workspace? >

Where is your workspace?

Where is your workspace?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:25 PM

I have two studios. We have a house in town where we spend most of our time, and then we have a house in the mountains about 40 minutes from here, where I have a huge loft area. I have both completely stocked but it never fails I will be needing something and it is at the other house. The loft is large so I have a Handiquilter there all set up but seldom use it because of my arthritis. I am hoping that when the thumb heals I can use it again.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 PM

I am so blessed. I have a very large house and I have sewing in one end of the basement. The opposite end I have a king size quilting frame for quilting. This room has 2 doors as the prior family used it as a BR. I built shelves on the outside walls and attempted neat stacks of fabric for insulation. I have a light attached to the machine carriage for extra light. I have a radio in this room.
In the sewing room I ran TV cable so I have TV and radio. I have an actual sewing machine cabinet but not the one that belongs to my Janome. Also have ironing board and separate table for cutting. I also built shelves in this room on the outside wall for fabric and supplies. Also keep an overstuffed chair for visitors as my husband has dementia and he comes and sits and watches TV sports and me sew. Then he is quiet and not demanding. No door on this area but it is the end of the baasement rec area and I have a pool table just outside my sewing area for laying out quilts. I started out 40 years ago in another house just behind the furnace in the basement with my machine and radio. I like to sew in the basement.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:34 PM

It's after 3 AM and I have read every one's comments on where they sew Some of you are so blessed to have such large sewing areas and it fills all of us with envy.I've had five houses in my lifetime. The first was only a two bedroom and I sewed in the living room and stored my stash behind the bedroom door. When we moved my uncle said he didn't see how I got so much stuff behind there. Our second home was two story with large rooms but I didn't have a particular place to sew since it burned to the ground after six months.
We built another two story with very large rooms, and I had a 10x10 area in the upstairs hallway.
Leaving that and moving to another town, I bought an old house that we remodeled from studs out, and I finally had a cutting place on the counter that I could walk around. My sewing room was 8x26 and DH built cabinets down one wall of this long hall way. I loved it since it connected to a bedroom that we had turned into a computer room where he stayed most of our free time.
Leaving that behind I now live in a small 3 bedroom and have converted one bedroom into a computer room, sewing room. I have an ironing board set up in there where I sit my sewing machine, closet for stash and chest for fabric. I have a sewing cabinet, but the room isn't big enough to open out and have room to get into closet. Since we both have our own laptops I would really like to get rid of that huge computer cabinet, and make more room for sewing, but don't have the nerve. It does have three windows that give a lot of natural light, but for some reason he doesn't like the blinds open.My serger and extra sewing machine are setting on the floor under the sewing cabinet, so I can switch them out quickly when needed. I have a fold down table in the kitchen for cutting , that serves as a magazine rack of his Time magazine's that he seldom reads.
But when I'm piecing a quilt, I bring a folding table into the living room and set my sewing machine on it so that I can listen to the TV and be in the same room as he. I find that I don't like being in the other room working alone.
So I guess what it boils down too we each do what we have to do to survive this madness we call quilting.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
I am currently working from my dining room (which is the first room you see when you come through my front door). I'm not crazy about the clutter and will have to clean it all up before the holidays, but the dining room table is a great workspace. I would love a more dedicated space, so I may end up moving it all upstairs to the office.

Where does everyone else work?
I say work wherever you are comfortable and can do your best work. Who cares what shows from the front door. To use my DH's words "It's your house."

I work in my sewing room (empty nester's original girls' bedroom). when I'm piecing, but all of the cutting and quilting is done on the dining table (also visible from the front). Once I pick everything up to use the table for it's original purpose, it's hard to get back to the sewing, so I try to leave it all out until I've finished my project.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:56 AM

I have a sewing room , lots of storage , all my sewing machines on a specially built desks , cutting table on castors ,(very handy) big window for light , radio at my finger tips , lots of shelves on the wall filled with all my bits and bobs, it is my idea of heave and I just love it .
Old 10-27-2010, 04:02 AM

My quilting space is also our office so it's tight. I use folding tables when needed. Wishing for a dedicated room some day.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:31 AM

You keep on going it dose get better. IN the summer months my neighbors think I am strange as I drag my machine out to the front yard and sew most of the day. The winter machine is is electric, the summer one is a 1902 tredell that still works just fine.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:17 AM

I have a sewing room in the basement but find that I really like to be at the kitchen table so that's where I usually end up!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:19 AM

We have a finished basement and because my stash has grown so huge over this past year (I inherited someone's stash) I have pretty much taken over the space. My oldest daughter has a corner for her scrapbooking space, I have a scrapbooking space and a quilting space.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by irenecarter
It's after 3 AM and I have read every one's comments on where they sew Some of you are so blessed to have such large sewing areas and it fills all of us with envy.I've had five houses in my lifetime. The first was only a two bedroom and I sewed in the living room and stored my stash behind the bedroom door. When we moved my uncle said he didn't see how I got so much stuff behind there. Our second home was two story with large rooms but I didn't have a particular place to sew since it burned to the ground after six months.
We built another two story with very large rooms, and I had a 10x10 area in the upstairs hallway.
Leaving that and moving to another town, I bought an old house that we remodeled from studs out, and I finally had a cutting place on the counter that I could walk around. My sewing room was 8x26 and DH built cabinets down one wall of this long hall way. I loved it since it connected to a bedroom that we had turned into a computer room where he stayed most of our free time.
Leaving that behind I now live in a small 3 bedroom and have converted one bedroom into a computer room, sewing room. I have an ironing board set up in there where I sit my sewing machine, closet for stash and chest for fabric. I have a sewing cabinet, but the room isn't big enough to open out and have room to get into closet. Since we both have our own laptops I would really like to get rid of that huge computer cabinet, and make more room for sewing, but don't have the nerve. It does have three windows that give a lot of natural light, but for some reason he doesn't like the blinds open.My serger and extra sewing machine are setting on the floor under the sewing cabinet, so I can switch them out quickly when needed. I have a fold down table in the kitchen for cutting , that serves as a magazine rack of his Time magazine's that he seldom reads.
But when I'm piecing a quilt, I bring a folding table into the living room and set my sewing machine on it so that I can listen to the TV and be in the same room as he. I find that I don't like being in the other room working alone.
So I guess what it boils down too we each do what we have to do to survive this madness we call quilting.
For years my only sewing room was wherever I perched my portable sewing machine. So wherever you can find the space thats the place! I feel so lucky to have a sewing room now, but the down side is that my grandchildren live so far away and most of the time I go to see them, even though I am in Florida.