Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do? >

What do you do?

What do you do?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:02 PM

Coffee, a good Coast to Coast am radio show and sit at the table and go. Before I know it time has passed, I have made progress and I feel relieved! I found that things looming in the future are daunting so I just go for it and its not as bad as it was in my head.. Good luck and go for it!!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:10 PM

I would work on the Christmas projects first so you won't have more to stress about next month.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:22 PM

I started small. This board really took a lot out of me because I was intimidated by all the amazing work. I decided to tackle the most urgent project and work from there. Then it just started the passion for quilting hit me again!!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:25 PM

I was feeling like this so I work on different projects at the same time by doing a few blocks here and there, switching it up. Then I really wanted to see something finished so I finished up the fastest project and that made me feel really good that I got one done.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:38 PM

I love the whole tone of this thread. You were all very kind and helpful.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:48 PM

Take one project in its entirety, go to your friends house and have a sew in day! You can accomplish so much when you are away from distractions in your home!!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:56 PM

I know EXACTLY how you feel!!! My DH and I made reservations in late June to go to see our kids and grandkids in CA in Nov. (next week!!). I wanted to make quilt projects for all of them (6 or 7 in all) so I thought I'd have a lot of time, right??? I started thinking about what I wanted to do for each of them, then I had to get fabric. I wasn't sure what to start with so I started with the most time consuming projects first and got those finished. Then the easier ones were, well, easy and quick. I actually had all of them finished by the first part of Oct. and I mailed them out last week. WHEW!!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:55 AM

so, yesterday, this thread made me really aware of my feelings as I worked in my quilting corner. Plugging away at my mom's signature quilt. Suddenly, I realized I had completed 100 blocks. Well now, you Know that energized me. I sewed practically nonstop through the afternoon with no wandering. I laid what I had out on the bed, nervous that my dimension changes may have made the quilt too big. Nope! More energizing!

Moved onto the next set of blocks. The light at the end of the tunnel is twinkling. :-D
Old 10-28-2010, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
boy, i really go through this too often! i have found when i just can not seem to make my self get busy when my project list is seeming overwhelming and i am running out of time i pick up something that is fast...like a set of coasters or a tote bag...and i go make it...start to finish...seems once i actually accomplish something in record time it frees my mind to move forward and i can keep going. i have found there are times when i go 2 weeks without accomplishment if i just go accomplish something i can get back on track...that and hubby says i work well under pressure...when deadlines are looming i really jump in and get it done...it is very stressful sometimes.
i prioritise my projects not only by date but also by time needed...if i have a couple big projects to get done i have found i do better with them if i get a couple easy/quick projects done. once a quilt starts 'coming together' it usually goes fast, takes awhile to get there though, so i will if tired of working on blocks or something i do not feel guilty if i set it aside for today...and make 3 smaller things, then i can go back and work on the biggy again for awhile.
I could have written this reply. I go to quilt retreats twice a year. I take wayyyyyyyy too many projects with me just so I have a choice of things to work on. I usually make a set of pillowcases just to get me jump started. Then I am able to dive right in to a more involved project.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:49 AM

I think we all go through this. I get my mind to working and get in over my head. I make all my Christmas gifts; in fact I make ALL gifts. I have so many ideas for this year that I worry that I won't finish them. So I put each project's supplies together in some form so I can see it as a whole; if I put it away I won't get it done. I have a list with all my goals on it and cross them off as I finish them. I then start with the easiest one, and work on it till completion and then on to the next one. I try to only work on one at a time; less daunting for me. This year I am actually ahead of where I usually am at this time of year. I have one big gift done and several small ones.