Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Met the quilt police >

Met the quilt police

Met the quilt police

Old 10-28-2010, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
So, there I was, taking a class. I had almost completed my table topper, when a classmate asked me how I was going to cover it. "What do you mean, cover it?" I asked.

Her: "You know, so it won't get food on it."

"But it's a table topper. It's going to get food on it," I responded.

Her: "Exactly. You need to cover it in vinyl or a laminate to protect it.

no, not really but I must tell you that I agree with you 110%....

I detest the plastic look !!!!

Went to a party one time and they had their silver in a china closet all wrapped in Saran Wrap........not hidden below but right there behind the glass.......

Nope.....spill and enjoy that table topper !!!!!!

there is always "shout it out" !!!!!
Me: "No, I want it antiqued."

I was actually shocked. I must admit that the thought never crossed my mind to cover the table topper. I figured that in 80 years (I'm being optimistic), when I'm dead and gone, and my descendants are using the aforementioned table-topper (again, my optimism), it will be like an archaeology exercise. There will be evidence of past meals that can be sifted through. "Look, Great-grandma Mattee must have LOVED ketchup!"

Anyway, I won't cover it. I understand completely why some people would. What I don't understand is that this woman seemed truly appalled that I choose not to. I mean really, it is MY project, right?

Anyone else have experience with classmates being appalled at your quilting behavior?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:39 AM

Really? Never heard of laminating a topper.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

Me either!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:41 AM

I have many toppers I use on my kitchen table. I have my neighbor kids, 1 1/2 yrs to almost 8, and my grandkids here all the time. My granddaughter got ketchup on the topper and expected me to go ballistic (as her mother probably would). I just said, "it will wash out." And after we finished eating I flipped it over to the other side and said, "See, no ketchup." She said, "Grannie, you're so cool!" They're made to be used and loved.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:56 AM

That has to be one of the funniest remarks I have ever heard. I also like your comment that you want the table topper "antiqued". You would believe how many of my projects are quickly antiqued. But I believe art should be utilitarian, so spots and holes happen.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:59 AM

Maybe and just maybe she thought that would be a compliment to your work. Me, I've made quilts over the years and I always tell people the same as my dad used to say "honey wear the hell out of 'em". I would in all honesty rather someone wear it out then see all my time and effort sit in a linen closet.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:12 AM

The world is full of busy bodies! Do what makes you feel good.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
So, there I was, taking a class. I had almost completed my table topper, when a classmate asked me how I was going to cover it. "What do you mean, cover it?" I asked.

Her: "You know, so it won't get food on it."

"But it's a table topper. It's going to get food on it," I responded.

Her: "Exactly. You need to cover it in vinyl or a laminate to protect it.

Me: "No, I want it antiqued."

I was actually shocked. I must admit that the thought never crossed my mind to cover the table topper. I figured that in 80 years (I'm being optimistic), when I'm dead and gone, and my descendants are using the aforementioned table-topper (again, my optimism), it will be like an archaeology exercise. There will be evidence of past meals that can be sifted through. "Look, Great-grandma Mattee must have LOVED ketchup!"

Anyway, I won't cover it. I understand completely why some people would. What I don't understand is that this woman seemed truly appalled that I choose not to. I mean really, it is MY project, right?

Anyone else have experience with classmates being appalled at your quilting behavior?
Yes, I've experienced the quilt police also. Not with a classmate but with another quilter in our guild. She must pass judgement on ALL projects for show n tell. A relatively new quilter, older lady like myself, began showing her projects and we were thrilled cause she has a difficult time seeing but her projects are wonderful. The quilt police began criticizing her stitching, stabilizer, etc. I wanted to get out a sharp object. This lady handled it beautifully. She had more than one project and when #2 came out and the quilt police grabbed it, Lady said, "Don't touch it!! I'm not asking for advice". End of story for that session. She continues to do this to everyone and a lot of people won't show n tell cause they won't take the criticism. Too bad....so sad.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:25 AM

I would have replied "Oh, The Smithsonian is handling that"
Old 10-28-2010, 04:29 AM

We are always forced to be "in the box"-well, guess what I feel about THAT!