Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 10-27-2010, 01:31 PM

Nope, no offense here... have been a little under the weather with allergies and am SO behind with everything. I think it sounds like a super project, and as soon as I get back up and running, I intend to try your suggestion. I have plenty of fabric in my stash... oops, I mean my Fabricology Research Center... so it shouldn't be a problem to come up with just the perfect fabric. Thanks for your time and effort! I haven't figured out yet how to post pictures (duh!), but when I do, you may be sorry you asked! <G>
Old 10-27-2010, 05:33 PM

First heart done. verdict is still out on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-91032.jpe
Views:	308
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	91037  
Old 10-28-2010, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
Originally Posted by Suz
Quiltbuddy, when I do very small pieces, I reduce the seam allowance and do needleturn. This reduces bulk and the edges turn easier. Don't forget to use the toothpick or sandwich pick. Be patient.

Bonnie, the fabric selection is wonderful. I know you can do a great job appliqueing since you have had so much practice.

I am anxious to hear how everything progresses. I plan to select my fabrics today and get started also.

Suz
Thank you for your response. I'm close to having four blocks done. I will try to post a picture soon. I'm too busy having fun.
Thanks Suz. I don't have EQ or anything but then I figured if I scanned in the fabric and printed it out, I could see how they looked together. It helped I think in this one. I will be attaching them to a cream muslim that will be 6.5" since I have a ruler that size. I'll trim it down after appliqueing.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:47 AM

Glad to read that somebody else is doing this with me. I was at our local quilt shop at lunch and bought a couple of fat quarters to see if I'd like them with the project. Here is a picture of them. I finished appliqueing one heart but am thinking of redoing it. I didn't like how the thread felt. Am now thinking perhaps I'll use my embroidery floss to do the blanket stitch in.

Anyway, I'm taking a survey. Which color, green or red should I use with the heart applique project. You can see the colors of the heart around each of those two. It will probably be a sashing and/or border (perhaps even backing) depending on how soon I want to finish it.

Name:	Attachment-96262.jpe
Views:	299
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	96267  
Old 10-28-2010, 03:44 PM

Oh dear! I almost had a breakdown. I didn't like AT ALL when I did the blanket stitch around the first heart. I tore it out once even after 5 stitches. Tonight I took another heart and started to blanket stitch around it using embroidery thread instead of the dual thread I had started with. I am liking this now A LOT more. This won't be torn out.

How is everybody doing on their projects? Should I shut up about my trials and tribulations? :) If you get tired of me ranting and raving, just let me know. No offense will be taken.

Name:	Attachment-110263.jpe
Views:	300
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	110268  
Old 10-29-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Alondra
Nope, no offense here... have been a little under the weather with allergies and am SO behind with everything. I think it sounds like a super project, and as soon as I get back up and running, I intend to try your suggestion. I have plenty of fabric in my stash... oops, I mean my Fabricology Research Center... so it shouldn't be a problem to come up with just the perfect fabric. Thanks for your time and effort! I haven't figured out yet how to post pictures (duh!), but when I do, you may be sorry you asked! <G>
Alondra I sure hope you are feeling better and I love your "Fabricology Research Center" I would steal the phase from you but I would never remember that lol.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:58 AM

Bonni, I would go with the red. The green is pretty but seems to Christmassy to me. :)
Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 AM

No Bonni hearing your trails & tribs make me feel so much better. Thanks for sharing I really need to select fabrics this weekend and get busy on this.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 AM

I feel pretty good today. Had lunch with Connie and I showed her how I was doing the blanket stitch. She liked it better than how she was taught. YAY me! :) The voting between green and red was close but green won out by a couple of votes. The green will still look pretty on it.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:17 PM

By next week I should have all my hearts appliqued on to the muslin. The squares are just small enough to fit into my hand easily as well as the 3" hearts. It's good to work on while watching tv or at the computer. :) How is everybody else doing?