Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Met the quilt police >

Met the quilt police

Met the quilt police

Old 10-28-2010, 04:44 AM

She probably has sofas covered in plastic too.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:55 AM

If anyone is that concerned about getting something dirty, they can just have a piece of plexi-glass cut to fit the size of the table topper and place it over it on the table to keep it from getting messed up. But I am with you, just use the thang and enjoy it!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:07 AM

I agree with all of you we make these gifts to be used not stored.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:26 AM

The more I think about this, the more sad it seems. A person laminates her tabletoppers, puts plastic on her furniture, covers her new carpeting with rugs, and probably doesn't use her good china, either. For what? That SPECIAL day? She spends her whole life waiting for that SPECIAL day and it never comes. She misses all the special days that happen all the time, with family and friends. And when she passes on, will they say at her memorial service that her upholstery was impeccable, her tabletoppers pristine, her carpeting spotless, and her china was chipless? Bet not.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:35 AM
nab

Well, maybe she has some OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disease). We have one of those here at work and she drives us all crazy. We have learned to ignore most of it, but I cannot resist sometimes to do something that I know will drive her up the wall. Example: Everything has to be filed just exactly where she wants it. So guess what? I don't. Was this her first project that she finished? Was she that proud of it?
I have table toppers too and once they are on the table, they are fair game for live. Use them, make memories and lol.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nana pat
didnt I read here a long time ago, about the extra piece of fabric sewn on the top of quilts, so drool didnt get on the quilts? I thought that was funny also. How about getting beautiful carpet, then covering large sections of it with a second carpet to protect the first?
Actually very old quilts often had a "whisker guard" sewn on to help protect the quilt from excessive wear caused by a man's whiskers rubbing against it in his sleep. In the 18th and 19th century many men had beards.

Regarding the plastic cover on the table topper, I personally thing those look pretty darn tacky. I'd rather see the antiquing. :lol: :lol:
Old 10-28-2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
And the problem with just washing her topper would be....???

Geesh, she probably flattens and dries her used paper towels, too. :roll:

With that, I'm going down for my morning nap, it's 6:20a.m!

Jan in VA
lol and when did you get up? 3 am like me?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:54 AM

What do you mean, i still have the plastic on my lamp shades. I figure if you don't cover table toppers and you get a stain on it then it is time to make a new one.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:01 AM

To each his own, huh?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by nana pat
didnt I read here a long time ago, about the extra piece of fabric sewn on the top of quilts, so drool didnt get on the quilts? I thought that was funny also. How about getting beautiful carpet, then covering large sections of it with a second carpet to protect the first?
Actually very old quilts often had a "whisker guard" sewn on to help protect the quilt from excessive wear caused by a man's whiskers rubbing against it in his sleep. In the 18th and 19th century many men had beards.

I remember when I was growing up in my grandma's house (this was in the 40s, dates me!!) that she had flour sack guards basted over the top ends of the quilts. These were removed and washed as needed. By the way, as I recall, the quilts were VERY heavy, thick and tied. The material of the only one I recall was a paisley patterned fabric. I do not recall any other details about the quilts, except that they were certainly warm. Grandma went through the depression and was very thrifty, even saved bits of string! She didn't quilt so I don't know where the quilts came from.
Regarding the plastic cover on the table topper, I personally thing those look pretty darn tacky. I'd rather see the antiquing. :lol: :lol: