Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO's - Who has the oldest? >

UFO's - Who has the oldest?

UFO's - Who has the oldest?

Old 10-27-2010, 02:50 PM

I took my first quilt class 30+ years ago. It was a quilt as you go applique class and it's still NOT finished. Don't like the colors, and have learned so much through the years, realize the teacher wasn't that good. We appliqued with quilting thread. Yuck! Guess they'll just have to throw this quilt in my grave to cushion the casket.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:34 PM

Un Finshed Objects
Old 10-27-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ann clare
Reading a post and somebody has one 10 years. Cannot compete with that but I am sure somebody here can.
I can, I can!! I have an oversized queen quilt in the log cabin pattern that I've been working on for 12 yrs. Right after I finished the top, we sold our home & moved into a tiny motorhome with no room for things like sewing, except by hand. I have the backing/batting pinned to the top now with thanks to a friend, & am hoping to finish it early next year after my Christmas rush is over.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-114313.jpe
Views:	56
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	114318  
Old 10-27-2010, 04:49 PM

I am assuming you mean one we started and have not finished.
I have a Christmas tree skirt I started 36 years ago. It still sits undone.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:51 PM

I have quite a few inherited ones too

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Does it count if it is not mine but I inherited it??? Mine is probably older than me.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Okay... I have a Grandmothers Flower Garden from the 30s, and a DWR from the 30s. Both are UFO's that I did not create!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:56 PM

I have a quilt that I started when I saw the Hale-Bopp comet in the late 80's. I got all the fabrics, looking frantically for months for the "right" starry material (since the scene is of the Golden Gate Bridge with the comet in the background in early evening). I found the "right" brown/gold for the bridge, and got everything cut out and placed. Then - Nothing! I couldn't get past the embroidery and piecing, even though it's all there.

It sits in a bag, taunting me to get going on it. It is the only quilt I have that I haven't taken the time to finish of mine. My children helped me get it laid out and still ask me when I'm going to get it finished. ONE OF THESE DAYS!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:30 PM

I don't know if this counts as the oldest but--I have an applique kit my mother purchased many years ago, from LeeWard Mills that she started. All her UFO's were divided up between my two sisters and I.
I received this kit. All the pieces were cut out and several attached when I finally opened it up to see what needed to be done. My mother passed away in 1982 and she was unable to do any of her quilting, etc. at least 5-10 years prior to that due to her eyesight. I took it out a couple months ago and decided to finish it by machine applique and make a tablecloth with it. It is very springy and the flowers on it our in different colors of gingham. The amazing thing is that all the pieces were still there. I will aim for next Spring to get it done or at least a good start.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:02 AM

My oldest QUILTING UFO is a quilt top I made when taking a class at Hancock. It was sponsored by the St. Jude Children's Hospital in Memphis. It's a sampler made with the wildest colors I could ever imagine (lime green/yellow, very bright blue, lighter blue, etc). I bought a nice fabric for sashing and backing that would tie those blocks together, but I've never finished it. It's ready for the sandwiching process. This class was taken about 6 years ago.

I have an older project which I began when I was pregant for my oldest daughter in 1962. It was a little weaving project which required two very small "looms" which I had purchased from an add in a magazine or newspaper. I made a few squares and that was about it. It's still here in the original box. :o There are probably enough to make a small doll quilt for her grandchild.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 AM

Well, I began piecing "Grandma's Flower Garden" in ginghams and solids while I was in high school (1951-55), and I still haven't finished it, so that's 57-58 years ago. Every so often I find some more gingham and add a few more flowers, so maybe one day...