Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery for FMQ?? >

Embroidery for FMQ??

Embroidery for FMQ??

Old 10-28-2010, 05:57 AM

on Oct 22, I posted a thread titled Embroidered Quilt Machine Quilted, look at those blocks for ideas to FMQ your quilt,if you cant get to it, let me know and I will send you the photos.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:29 AM

I believe it was the Bernina stitch regulator that I heard doesn't work on some colors of fabric. I guess it's because of the color of the sensing light. This seems to me to be a bad design. Why not equip the machine with two colors of sensing lights, so it would work on any color fabric?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:42 AM

I have a Bernina 440QE with the stitch regulator but I find that the darning foot works just as good as the foot. You might try it till you learn to freehand quilt. I learned this 2 weeks ago in a class I was taking. I have tried the stitch regulator and love it as well but my work turns out better with te darning foot if I am going to do free hand work. I just depends on what you are working with and what you want to do. Stippling is realy easy if you are steady at what you do but if your like me and can't seem to control the fabric yet then you might want to try a sinple pattern instead. I was told it takes approx. 1000 hours of pratice to get used to someof these things? Oh well *Iwill do it if I have too....Good luck kid. Practice practice practice
Old 10-28-2010, 06:43 AM

sorry my spelling went to the trash. I was typing too fast.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 AM

I have a Bernina wiht a BSR and I love it for FMQ. I started out practicing on small items like potholders, etc. I am makin purses and totes and FMQ on them. I have not yet tried a quilt, but that is my next step. I am in the process of finishing a quit and plan to FMQ on it. It will just be for me so if it is not perfect that is okay, I will be learning. Keep practicing.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:14 AM

I have a Bernina 440 QE with the BSR. It does help, but has limitations. If you go too fast, it can't keep up. If you are working at the edge of your fabric, it can get fussy and stop sewing becuase it can't "see" the fabric. After a while, I think I can FMQ better without it. I have a Brother, Project Runway machine that I bought to take to classes. I'm finding I lke that for FMQ better than the Bernina (gasp) Right now the BSR is at Bernina getting a firmware update, something I learned about at Bernina Yahoo group. When it comes back, I will try it out and let you knoww
Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 AM

I did this on a Downy quilt once. It turned out great (at least I thought so). It is hard to hoop, however. I ended up using masking tape to tape the bottom hoop to the table while I got the block situated the way I wanted it. I used a template that came with the hoop to center it, then put the top hoop on, then untaped it. (You can only put the tape on the outside edges of the hoop and you have to open it as much as possible.)

There's a new magnetic hoop out now for my machine, and I think that might make the job less cumbersome. It's expensive though. I might ask for it for Christmas. Haven't made up my mind.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-112587.jpe
Views:	82
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	112592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-112588.jpe
Views:	77
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	112593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-112589.jpe
Views:	72
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	112594  
Old 10-28-2010, 07:24 AM

What is a firmware update for your BSR (Bernina)?This question is for Arlener( hope I spelled this right)
Old 10-28-2010, 07:26 AM

I have the stitch-regulated Bernina 730 and have FMQ'd a kind-sized quilt. I also thought about using the embroidery module to quilt but with all the hooping and re-hooping, I was determined to learn to FMQ and now I really enjoy it.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by quilter53
Originally Posted by Davida
Help. I can't do FMQ no matter how much I practice. My questions is has anyone tried using the embroidery designs to quilt. They have the newer machine with the big hoops and they sell quilting designs such as Stippling etc? Or does anyone have a bernina that has a stitch regulator?How does it work for FMQ? I can't afford a Free Arm so I am trying to figure another way. Please Help.
http://www.emblibrary.com has quilting motifs. I have never had trouble with any of their designs and they are a lot cheaper than buying the cd's.
Quilter 53, I just purchased a lot of the quilting designs from EL, but haven't tried them yet, I was wondering if you have sewn them out yet? I love them, and am anxious to try them.