Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Met the quilt police >

Met the quilt police

Met the quilt police

Old 10-28-2010, 07:47 AM

aw - the quilt/craft/sewing police. For the ladies who want to "see the back"? I would only let them see finished bound quilts LOL That'll drive 'em crazy! I too, worried when i forst started that I wasn't doing it right - now I want it to please ME - and if a gift, the receiver. I am not entering any contests or exhibits at this time - so. BTW - you all make me want to make a table topper just so i can use it AND serve dinner tonight on my good china!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:20 AM

how could it of been any of hr buisness, what you did with your table topper, I use mine and wash them and use them over and over and never cover it up. she must be a prissy thing , or a clean nut. why make someething you can not use and enjoy,
I am glad you told her what you did.
Chrickett

Originally Posted by Mattee
So, there I was, taking a class. I had almost completed my table topper, when a classmate asked me how I was going to cover it. "What do you mean, cover it?" I asked.

Her: "You know, so it won't get food on it."

"But it's a table topper. It's going to get food on it," I responded.

Her: "Exactly. You need to cover it in vinyl or a laminate to protect it.

Me: "No, I want it antiqued."

I was actually shocked. I must admit that the thought never crossed my mind to cover the table topper. I figured that in 80 years (I'm being optimistic), when I'm dead and gone, and my descendants are using the aforementioned table-topper (again, my optimism), it will be like an archaeology exercise. There will be evidence of past meals that can be sifted through. "Look, Great-grandma Mattee must have LOVED ketchup!"

Anyway, I won't cover it. I understand completely why some people would. What I don't understand is that this woman seemed truly appalled that I choose not to. I mean really, it is MY project, right?

Anyone else have experience with classmates being appalled at your quilting behavior?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:21 AM

I thought that that is why they had made washing machines and laundry detergents for! No? If she is that worried about getting stains on her runner, then perhaps she should not use it! When I make something like that I want it used, not just to sit there to be looked at!

TreeFrog
Old 10-28-2010, 08:22 AM

All this talk about quilt police and plastic covers reminds me of a funny thing that happened a couple years ago. This is going to be rather lengthy, but bear with me. I used to crochet doilies for gifts; learned from an aunt when I was a child. Anyhow, I always wanted to make a crocheted tablecloth, to everyone else's hilarity. Yah, Mom finishing a tablecloth, right! Well, I started making motifs years ago and worked away on them while my husband was having chemo, and during doctor visits. I wrote the beginning date on the pattern. After he passed away I couldn't work on it for about 2 years. Then I finally decided I would finish it for the next Thanksgiving dinner at my daughter's home. Now I didn't tell anyone this; they just saw me working on it and laughing silently. So anyhow I finally finished it the weekend before Thanksgiving that year and one day without saying a word, went to my daughter's house and put it on the table; wondering how long it would take her to find it. The next morning I get a phone call from her saying, " I am at Joann's in the vinyl tablecloth aisle, how much plastic and what weight should I get to cover that lace tablecloth you put on my dining room table?" I was rather abashed that she was going to cover it with plastic, but she said, "Well, I'll never get it washed and blocked and back on the table so humor me." So every year we sit there with plastic over it and enjoy it. By the way, it took me 9 1/2 years to complete it. And I told my 2 DDIL's not to expect duplicates.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 AM

I love table toppers you can wash them so way would you cover it I mean if I can't wash it I don't get or use it..I mean,I have 3 cats inside and they go where they like and we don't live in a bubble right,so use it and wash it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-114069.jpe
Views:	56
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	114074  
Old 10-28-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
All this talk about quilt police and plastic covers reminds me of a funny thing that happened a couple years ago. This is going to be rather lengthy, but bear with me. I used to crochet doilies for gifts; learned from an aunt when I was a child. Anyhow, I always wanted to make a crocheted tablecloth, to everyone else's hilarity. Yah, Mom finishing a tablecloth, right! Well, I started making motifs years ago and worked away on them while my husband was having chemo, and during doctor visits. I wrote the beginning date on the pattern. After he passed away I couldn't work on it for about 2 years. Then I finally decided I would finish it for the next Thanksgiving dinner at my daughter's home. Now I didn't tell anyone this; they just saw me working on it and laughing silently. So anyhow I finally finished it the weekend before Thanksgiving that year and one day without saying a word, went to my daughter's house and put it on the table; wondering how long it would take her to find it. The next morning I get a phone call from her saying, " I am at Joann's in the vinyl tablecloth aisle, how much plastic and what weight should I get to cover that lace tablecloth you put on my dining room table?" I was rather abashed that she was going to cover it with plastic, but she said, "Well, I'll never get it washed and blocked and back on the table so humor me." So every year we sit there with plastic over it and enjoy it. By the way, it took me 9 1/2 years to complete it. And I told my 2 DDIL's not to expect duplicates.
Well, I do have to admit I would have covered this one up as well. Crochet is not as easy to clean as a quilt. I would take that as a compliment that she did not want to mess it up.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:37 AM

I have to admit that I might have covered that one as well!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by clair
does'nt that just get you . I have a friend,she has a long arm business and when anyone brings her a quilt the first thing she does is look for the scant qt inch. I won't take her any more of my quilts to quilt cause it really ticks me . All i want to do is scream "hey who made you seam allowance queen " my I feel better -ha
If I used her to quilt my crib quilts, I would be right up her alley. I use a skant quarter inch for my crib quilts, but I don't use a straight stitch altogether. There is a stitch on my machine that is a plain stitch zig=zag combined. Great for crib quilts.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I have to admit that I might have covered that one as well!

God bless you for your stick-to-it attitude and God bless your daughter for wanting to keep Mom's work in perfect condition for generation after generation.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:58 AM

I'm wondering what goes on top of the laminate? Paper towel? Where does it stop?